1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Temperatures

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by linckeil, Dec 29, 2010.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

What temps do you guys see while plowing?

let me know
    1. year
    2. model
    3. engine
    4. transmission
    5. temp sensor location
    6. any trans mods
    7. max temp while plowing
    8. any other relevant info

ok - i'll start..

1. 1996
    2. F350
    3. 351 gas
    4. e4od
    5. test port
    6. transgo shift kit
    7. 195 degrees F
    8. truck has factory trans oil cooler. temps hit 195 only after doing several driveways right next to each other. once i travel a mile or more trans quickly cools down to about 170. when not plowing, trans will run at 140-150 during the winter months.

curiuos to see what other ford owners are seeing.
  2. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

F350 SRW
    Stock trans temp sender
    Stock trans
    Max temp while plowing aprx 166-ish
    Otherwise, winter months produce around 135-145

Reading trans temp from OBD via Aeroforce Scangauge.
  3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Temp port
    160 max
    aux cooler

195 is getting close to the danger zone. Are you running synthetic? That would help. You could also plow in 4low for a few minutes to cool down.
  4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

what cooler are you running? is it the factory cooler or an aftermarket cooler?

i read that with the sender in the pan or test port, the upper limit is 220 continous, and 250 absolute max for a very short time. you can run at 200 all day long and not hurt a thing.

but i'd still like to come down from my max of 195 - although like i said, this was after doing several driveways right in a row really working the truck, and it did drop right down as soon as i drove a mile or so down the road.

i dont run synthetic in the trans. maybe i'll try that next time i change the fluid and filter.
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at doing the transgo tugger kit and V-10 trans cooler soon. I wish I had the money to get a BTS though.
  6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Cooler was on the truck when I bought it, so not sure of the origin, heard that 210+ is pushing the limits of the fluid and it tends to shorten the life of the fluid. 195 is OK but would try the synthetic to bring it down to 170-180 just to be safe. I'm sure you know that heat is the enemy for the E4od.
  7. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

1983 cj7
    tf999 trans
    inline sender B&M
    after market cooler
    aftermarket deep well pan
    I have ran it to 250 during a blizzard and no problems I have all my transmissions and engine oil changed after any major storm anyway
    I am running synthetic.
  8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

1. 2002
    2. F-250 Crew Cab
    3. 6.8Ls of Triton V10 fury
    4. 4R100
    5. ScanGaugeII OBDII
    6. Stock
    7. 160
    8. At 160, I take a break and go easy. I usually plow in 2WD.

Oh, plow is a 9' 2" Boss V.