1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Temperature Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GM_Fan40, Aug 31, 2011.

1. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

I have an 05 Sierra 1500. I havent plowed with it yet (just bought my plow this week and isnt even installed yet). But anyways my biggest fear is the transmission (besides the front end which is getting timbrens soon). I just installed a monster tranny cooler today and would like to be able to keep an eye on the tranny temp. I was looking at some kits and they came with the T- connectors. But i have read people recommend finding a plug on the side of the tranny and using that but i have also seen people say that isnt as accurate. Has anyone else installed one?

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

The best way to install a tranny temp sensor is to buy a refurbished 2500 series instrument cluster. It will come with the factory temp sensor and just plugs into your existing harness.

3. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Thanks for the reply! I actually found an app on my phone that will work with the bluetooth OBDII adapter i have and it tells me what every sensor on my truck is reading.

4. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Well that'll work too lol! God, these smartphones are amazing. They'll do anything but make a clear phone call lol.

5. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Lol tell me about it! What kind of temperature range should i be looking to be in?

6. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Depending on temperatures outside and what your doing with the truck. If you've got a large tranny cooler, all mine do, just driving around it's not uncommon for me to run about 150 or 160 on the highway. While plowing or heavy towing temps of around 180 with a good heavy duty fan clutch . Temps of around 190 to 200 may be reached occasionally but I'd start taking it easy with anything above that.

7. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Sounds good! Thanks!

8. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

I agree

EBay usually has them, send yours to them and get back a refurbished one with your mileage installed and a Tranny Temp gauge will be there as well ... about $125 +-

Simple swap of the instrument Cluster

9. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Ok so I have been watching my trans temperature over this weekend. Driving around town i was around 155 degrees and the ambient temp was about 75 degrees. I then towed a 7x16 tandem axle landscaping trailer up the PA turnpike for about 70 miles and the trans temp was anywhere from 150 to 160 depending on the hills (ambient temp around 70). When i loaded the trailer with about a tree and a half of branches and logs i then towed it down some hilly back roads for about 5 miles to go to the dumping location and the temp never went above 170 (ambient temp about 80). On the way back to the house where i took the tree down at it stayed around 165. On my way back home down the turnpike the temp was anywhere from 160 to 170 (ambient temp still around 80). When i got back home and was un hooking the trailer i left the truck running in park. When i got out it was around 170 and after i unhooked the trailer and got back in the temp jumped all the way up to 200. Why would it jump this much just idling? Shouldnt it drop if anything?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  10. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

This was the load i had on the trailer. The bed is mostly filled with the logs and has some branches on top.

tree.jpg

11. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

sounds normal to me

on both my HD 2500's gas (04 & 11) , the gauge kinda does wander up & down for reasons that don't make sense to me either

I always watch my Trans Temp just to be sure all is well, and it never goes higher than 170 - 180 +-- degrees unless I'm pushing some way too heavy snow load ... and then it's time to back off and take it easy

good question, I wondered about it also ...

maybe the low rpm's at idle don't cool the trans cooler (radiator fan speed is less) compared to higher rpm's faster fan & the moving air from when driving ... also the trans pump has less flow at idle and therefore less trans fluid circulation, and slower cooling as well

12. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Sounds pretty good to me. Cooling is less efficient at idle or sitting in traffic because no air is rushing over the cooling fins of the cooler. You'll notice that with the plow mounted it will have a similar effect because it disturbs the air flow to the cooler.

13. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

So you guys dont think i should really have a problem plowing?

14. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Na, should be fine. It is a half ton so plow as if your plowing with a half ton. If the snow is deep and heavy, take half swipes. You'll be fine, just dont push it beyond its limits, that goes for any size truck. If you're straining it take a step back and re-assess your attack. Many people have had great luck plowing with half ton trucks.

15. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Sweet sounds good. Thanks for everything guys!

16. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

hows your fan clutch? I was having issues with my '06 when I first bought it. Normal driving, even while towing the thing would be fine, but as soon as I put the plow on, no matter how it was angled, the coolant temp and tranny temp would creep up there just a little. The tranny temp would always start to creep up first. Replaced the fan clutch and it never did that again. Even when the thing is parked, that fan clutch should kick on and the fan should have more than enough power to pull cool air through the radiators. All that said, the temps you're seeing dont seem too alarming.

17. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

It has an elctric fan. And as soon as then coolant gets to like 220 the fan kicks on and it drops back down to 190 very quick.