1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Temp.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Favatts, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

I was wondering what a normal temp. is for a transmission on newer model Chevys. I have an 04 2500Hd with 6.0 motor and Driving around the city the Transmission temp gets up to about 175. Is this normal or high?
    Thanks...........Favatts

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

200 is getting fairly hot. 225 is starting to wear the ATF pretty quickly 250 is really hot. trany fluid life is based off a curve based off temp. it may live 100k at 175 but buy 200deg its down to 50k and then down to 25k at 225. synthetic also stands up to heat better than dino.

Somewere there was a table that showed the exact trany temp/milage but I cant remember were i saw it. :(

Good idea to drain the pan after the plow season and refill with fresh. This will replace about 50% of your fluid. If you get it real hot then a full flush would be a good idea IMO. I like the yanking of the cooler lines method instead of paying someone to "flush it" on a machine for me.

3. ratlover

from IL

oh......my allison stays about that range......if I'm romping on it or plowing hard I will run around 200. I've got a chipped Duramax BTW

4. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I just got an 04 2500HD a week or so ago. Trans runs about 100 without plow and about 130 with plow on. My 01 2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison was running about 200 without plow and 230 while plowing. It's in the shop now having a repair. See the thread "Allison overheating, not engine."

5. GPB

GPB Member

My 02 HD 6 liter runs around 100-120 with no plow and 130-140 with the plow. Is this normal? Sounds on the cool side to me. On the cold days it barely gets over 100, is the tranny even fully warming up?

6. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

Thanks for the input everyone. My last truck did not have a tranny gauge so this is new to me.

Tim.... What size motor do you have in your 04?

7. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

My 04 has the 6 liter. My 01 has the 8.1 liter.

8. ratlover

from IL

if its cold out and I dont have the cover on and I'm not working it(no plow on) it will take for ever and be barely over 100

outside temps make a big difference as does if airs getting to the cooler or not(if the plow is on or the winter cover)