1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Temp?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by madskier1986, Dec 27, 2011.

1. madskier1986

madskier1986 Senior Member

Okay, so i am new to plowing and itching to do a full run but need the snow to stick to the pavement. But have one question about transmission temps.

I have been told and read numerous times to be careful not to get the trans temp to high. But what is consider running to hot?

I notice that my truck runs about 90-120 degree with out plow and will jump to about 130ish with the plow on. But I have no idea yet of what might be the normal temp with the plow on.

2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

250 is HOT, anyhting higher and you're melting *****.
    if you're below 200 you're fine and dandy.

3. madskier1986

I hope never to go over 200. But good to know at 250 I will start doing damage. Thank you for that info.

4. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

You bet, ya pulling 15k pounds up hills I only see 200-230. You'll be fine.

5. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

Put an extra trans cooler on or a bigger one then what you already have. A buddy of mine swears by the ones that have external fans on them. Fairly cheap compared to a new tranny.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Keep it under 200

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I let up at 180 and run low range to keep it cool. Aux. coolers with their own fan are a great idea. You don't get enough air flow plowing. Hence things heat up.

8. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

mine never goes over 155 i put a high capacity trans pan on with cooling tubes that helped

9. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

This isn't for plow vehicles but the info is still useful.

heatchrt.jpg

10. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

My truck runs around 170-180 plowing, unless the snow is especcially heavy or if I'm going ballz to the wall... then it gets up to 200* Any hotter than 215* I will take a break.

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

When I plowed with my '99 Expedition, the trans temp would rise if I driving around alot with it on. However, I would just angle the blade sharply and that would allow more air in to cool it right down. It had the towing package on it, so it did come with a tranny cooler. I don't recall ever have the temp rise when I was plowing though.

I switched to an F350 for plowing in 2006; have never had the tranny go above the normal zone even when driving around.

Key thing too is to always make sure that you come to a full stop before changing between reverse and drive when plowing. That's the nicest thing that you can do for your transmission (and wallet). I always cringe when I'm looking at a plowing video and I see the reverse lights come on when they're still rolling forward.

12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

im assuming your probe is in the pan so just realize if your temp is reading 200 your hot line out of the converter is probably 220-230.

13. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I've always found my trucks to run cooler changing the trans fluid to a quality fluid and in some cases a larger cooler. I have a stock cooler on my truck now and last summer I had to move my plow about 25 miles in the middle of summer and the temp never changed.

14. madskier1986

Thank you all for your insight on my questions. When mother nature decides to let it snow here in South East Michigan and i get to go play with the plow, I will have to let you know what my transmission temp ends up being.