1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Temp

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bulhead19@aol.c, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bulhead19@aol.c

bulhead19@aol.c Junior Member

Hey guys, I own a 2003 F350 6.0l and so far on average after a steady 20-25min of driving the temp of the transmission is about 150 degrees. I have yet to plow with it so I know it will raise in temp but my question is what is a good safe ballpark degree for the transmission to run at?
  2. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I would say anything over 220 continuosly would be a problem. cooler is always better. 150 to195 is optimal.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our Super Duty's just have the oem temp. gauge right in the dash so who knows what it actually is but they always are right in the middle and never move (knock on wood!). In the spring I'm probably going to have someone do the EGR delete kit and all the other usual things and I might look into the pod with gauges so I can keep a better eye on it.
  4. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

5. bulhead19@aol.c

bulhead19@aol.c Junior Member

Brian... Are your Fords the 6.0 Diesels? Hows the transmission hold up in them out of curiosity..? I have after market gauges, i trust them over the stock, as my stock gauges always sit in the same spot (middle). I find that hard to believe sometimes...
  6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

225 is generally considered the red line temp for transmission temperatures. Don't pay any attention to the factory trans temp gauge. It is truly nothing more than a dummy light. If it ever moves to the red area, you have essentially toasted your transmission.

The trucks with the 6.0's have an extremely large transmission cooler. My guess is that you will rarely, if ever, have a problem with an overheated trans.

My 7.3 has a trans cooler that is about 1/3 the size of yours and I have never had any problems with the trans overheating.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

No, one is a gasser but has the same tranny in it. I would think the oem gauge is somewhat accurate but no sure what the actual temp is when its in the middle. So far the tranny's are fine. I get them flushed out every other year (about every 24k miles) and change the filters, I never liked the typical method they use which is just flushing it out. Ford offers a program through BG (a chemical company) they use for a lot of their basic maintenance. The program is I use their additives and they will cover the tranny for many, many miles. Just don't abuse it and it should be fine for many years. I come to complete stops before shifting into reverse, just not beating it. I don't drive like an old man but I also don't drive it like I did when I was 16 either.