1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmission temp gauge

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lawnmasters2006, Dec 10, 2006.

1. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

DO ANY OF YA USE A AFTER MARKET TRANY TEMP GAUGE?
    IF SO, IS IT HELPFUL OR A WASTE OF MONEY? WHT SHOULD THE TEMP BE IN A TRANY?:dizzy:
    THOUGHT ABOUT GETING ONE AN SEEING HOW USE FULL IT WOULD BE..MIGHT SAVE A TRANNY OR TWO..
    I PLOWING W A 97 SILDERDAO 1500 7'6 POLY WESTERN..350 ECT..
    HOWS THE TRANNYS HOLD UP..I GOT A COOLER ON IT ALREADY,ALSO CHANGE FUILD THIS FALL..AT PENNZIOL..:nod:

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like you did all of the right things you need to do. I'm not sure what the tranny temps should be running, our new F250SD has a tranny temp gauge built in to the instrument cluster but there are no numbers to refference.. Just take a second when shifting to and from reverse, change the tranny fluid AND filter every year and hope for the best.

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

First off.....
    STOP YELLING!!!!!!
    Just kidding. As for the temp gauge, I don't have one on my 96 Gmc 1500. Tranny cooler, and always change fluid and filter. seems to do the trick. Lots of miles on my truck and no tranny probs. Just stop completely before shifting.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To me having a tranny temp gauge is as important as an oil pressure or volt gauge.I wouldn't even consider a tranny temp gauge as a "waste of money" On a plow truck the gauge should be on the upgrade list right behind installing the largest tranny cooler you can fit! I've had a tranny temp gauge on every plow truck I ever had.Having the ability to monitor the tranny temp allows you to ease up on the truck before the tranny does a melt down. Ran the last truck for 11 year's (already had 100,000mi on it when I bought it)and never had the tranny out of the truck.

5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Tranny temp guage is important but don't cheap-out. An easy reference is to drive the truck around on a hot day in the summer in stop and go traffic. This is your base-line, if the tranny gets 40-50 degrees hotter while plowing it's time for a flush or a bigger cooler. We install large aftermarket coolers on all our trucks. Also, putting the truck in neutral while idling or shoveling, etc. is a good way to cool the tranny down. It circulates fluid in neutral but not in park.

We have a few extra guages in every truck. Tranny temp., outside air temperature, oil pressure and a real coolant temperature guage. All diesel's are equipped with EGT guages.

Current trucks have both power steering coolers and additional transmission coolers. All fluids are changed yearly. Synthetic fluids in axles and diff. cases.

Unless a driver is known to pound the transmissions, we haven't had one chewed up in less than 80,000 miles.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Stop Yelling..........

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea...my ear's are hurting! :p

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't mean to say this is what you guys do.
    But a woman I know just had it done on her truck.
    Watch having an " Oil Change Place " changing your tranny fluid or some one you know.
    The pan really needs to be dropped and the filter changed or screen cleaned and any sediment looked at in the pan. Some of the oil change places just stick a tube down the dip stick tube and suck out the old fluid.They then refill with new fluid. Now 1/2 the fluids changed and the filter etc is still dirty!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep,gotta be careful at some of those places. Even place's that use an actual trans flush machine you should still drop the pan and change the filter.

10. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

When I buy a tranny temp gauge, what temperature should it read up too. Is 260 F good.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

260 is good, just hope you dont need it to go that high. :D

12. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I wouldn't have my engine or transmission oil changed at any fast or quicky oil change place.
    Jiffy Lube on Dixie hwy. in Clarkston, MI. wasted my transmission on my ford.
    I took it to them because it though I would get it change at 50k and they didnt snap the filter all the way in and it suck air and wasted the transmission.

When the dealer took the pan off the filter fell out.
    Jiffy Lube denied they did it and offered up $750 and said the dealer lied.
    Rather then file a claim in court, I took the money and Never visit any kind of place like that again.

It's to hard to prove it was there fault.
    and the scum that they are they will lie, to get out of it.