1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CHRISPAP, Oct 22, 2010.

CHRISPAP Junior Member

Hey, I had to bring my 7 1/2 foot Meyers Diamond plow in for yearly maintenance. The truck is a 2007 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Classic with the 6.0 gas engine. The shop is 30 miles from my house and I was going about 55 MPH. My Transmission Temp Gauge was running at about 190 to 200 degrees is this nornal or something to worry about??

2007 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Classic
    7 1/2 foot Meyers Diamond Plow
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Its a little high. Thats what mine runs towing my 5th wheel camper. I dont think you damaged anything but try and keep and eye on your temps on highway. I try and angle or lower plow to increase windflow. What was your engine temp running at?

CHRISPAP Junior Member

Was so worried about the tranny I didint even watch the engine temp
  4. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Mine always runs high in warm weather with plow on. My older Dodge not so much but my Chevy always does.
  5. tac48

tac48 Member

Chevrolet says 180-220 degrees F is considered normal operating temp on that trans, but as we all know - the lower the better on trans temp. I wouldn't worry.
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Been running Chevys for plowing for 8 years now, trans temp always run about 200 degree's. In the summer if you had the plow on it will be higher. My rule of thumb is to never let the trans temp go over 210. If it does change the trans fluid and filter. I also change the trans fluid and filter every year with amsoils trans fluid and a wix filter. If you have never changed the fluid now would be a good time to do it.

Regards Mike

CHRISPAP Junior Member

Thanks for all the help guys
  8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Just remember the factory gauges aren't always dead on correct. I wouldn't worry too much. When I had a 2500HD regular cab it would push about 200 with the plow on traveling. Never worried about it and it never gave me problems.
  9. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Optimal trans temp is usually ambient outside temp plus 100*.
  10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

That may work in the summer but I have never had a plow truck run a trans temp with a plus 100 degrees. If it was 20 outside the trans temp should be 120 degrees, heck mine runs that year round without a plow.

11. SServices

SServices Senior Member

My 05 2500HD 6.0 runs around 180-200
  12. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

with a plow hanging off the front?