1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmission swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TTBoy77, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I have an 86 chev. 3/4 ton with a 700r4 in it. One week ago I changed fluid and filter because I noticed the truck shifting weird. After the change it was a little better but still there. I was plowing on Sun. and just for fun I tried shifting it manually on the column. First was no problem, but when it comes to second gear, there was my problem. A little hesitation and then it grabbed. So my diagnosis is second is on it's way out. What do you guys think? Used ore rebuilt 700? Maybe even a 700 - th400 swap? What would the swap all entail? I have an 89 full-size Blazer with a 700 and I know that the wiring in the valve body are different, but I think I could swap them out in a pinch, right? Any and all help, info, and tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Im not sure what all it would take. Check out www.fullsizechevy.com there is a few people on there that have swapped trannies. I know one guy put a 4l80e in his 1500.
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

A 700R4 can be a very stout transmission if built propperly. I had them in both a 86 k20 and a 89 2500. Both received rebuilds after 100,000+ miles. I put over 30,000 miles on both trucks before selling them. Both trucks are still on the road today and neither guy had any problems with the engines or tannys.
  4. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Putting miles in isn't my concern....it's the ability to hold up to the rigors of plowing. I don't want to spend a small fortune on a 700 "build" when I could probably drop in a th400 with an adapter or two and have a more stout unit.
  5. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

bump....still looking for more tips and advice plz....
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I run a built 700R4 in a 4000lb car that runs mid 13's launching on slicks, been in the car for street and race duty for ten years or more now.

If it can take that kinda stuff, I think it can take some plowing with a reasonable driver.
  7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Unless you never travel over 50mph I would not want to give up overdrive. As far as my trucks. 90% of those miles are "working". And I'm sure my workers don't baby them....
  8. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I purchased the truck for 300 bucks this fall from my uncle. I talked to him and it is the original tranny. The truck has 252k on it with no trans cooler and this year is the first time the truck has ever seen a plow. I have only been out 6 times this year and the truck is not abused at all.....so I am thinking I am gonna go the route of staying with the 700.:nod:
  9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Well You answered your own question--hopefully it's not too toast and you can get by with a quick rebuild. Best of luck