1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission shifts slow from forward to reverse

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Bossman 92, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 00 F350 with the 6.8 gas V 10 and auto tranny and like the title says when you shift from forward to reverse it takes a couple secs for it to enguage. I had the motor pulled and replaced this past summer and it has done it ever since. I don't drive this truck, but I am told that when it sits overnight it takes a couple mins of run time before the truck even moves, but once it runs for a little bit it works fine, just shifts from forward to reverse slow.

The truck shifts fine driving down the road and it has pleanty fluid. As far as I know it has never slipped while plowing.

I didn't know if there was some sort of adjuster or somthing to correct this problem.

Thanks for any advice you can give. Bossman

2. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Sounds like a bad internal seal . But the first step would be to get a total "flush" that includes pumping out the torque converter and the " extra cooler" they could possibly adjust the bands then in some trannys then too???.
    A new FILTER and some new fluid . Keep your fingers crossed and you might luck out????
    If that tranny has gotten "hot" and that fluid has seen some temperatures over 200 degrees it will start to turn the fluid to varnish and most certainly harm the seals in the tranny. If that is the problem it is internal and EXPENSIVE......................... another dam good reason to monitor the fluid temperature at all TIMES!!! Mine never bothers until Spring time and those late March storms with heavy wet snows and warm [above freezing] temps and trying to push toooooo much wet snow and in high range and all of a sudden I see the gauge climbing thru 190 degrees and BINGO . It goes into Low Range instantly and the temps drop right back down.
    With that huge engine in your truck; pushing on that tranny shoving in High Range and you being in Ohio and working in milder temps there; I would say that is the perfect setup for HOT fluid temps and I wouldn't dare plow at all with that truck unless it had a working guage in it????

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011