1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmission shifter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81c1500, Apr 23, 2004.

1. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

I acquired my pickup with a floor shifter. The guy I bought it from said he didn't like the 3 on the tree and opted for a floor kit. Then he got tired of the manual tranny and went to a junkyard and obtained a 350th from a Pontiac. My question is since I have the column original shifter components, is there a kit that would put the shifter back on the column for automatic instead of manual. Thanks

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You need a different steering column. Easy to obtain and swap. The three-on-a-tree column still has the h-pattern the same as a floor shifter and you don't need all the extra motions. Get a similar yeared column (matching up cruise and wiper switches if applicable) and it should bolt right in and plug right in.

Just for note, a TH350 from a true Pontiac engine would have a different bellhousing and wouldn't fit. If it came from behind a Chevy engine then all is well. Also be aware that Pickups and SOME full size cars have the long tailshaft, while other cars have the short version. Watch driveshaft lengths.

3. 81c1500

81c1500 Junior Member

The bell housing I have only bolts on at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. I am using a solid tranny support for the extra support. Thanks