1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Shift Indicator Not Working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wsmm, Jan 3, 2010.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

Looking at a 1988 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. Truck runs good, transmission seems fine, shifts okay etc. The only problem is that when you change the gears the indicator on the dash (lower left side of instrument cluster), never leaves park. What is most likely wrong and how hard is it to repair.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

I was checking other locations and it sounds like you remove the instrument panel trim plate, believe it is just spring clips holding it on. The gear indicator should be screwed in place, once removed there is a tab along with a spring and wire which go to the shift handle. doesnt' sound like to bad to get at but don't know about parts to repair it. apparently lmc used to sell the parts but I don't see it listed in my cataloge now. Hope this helps somewhat.

3. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

Sorry, I screwed up, your dash bezel or trim is held on by 4 screws not spring loaded clips. I should read more before posting :(