1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Servicing...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowVA, Jan 11, 2005.

1. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Call Aamco to check out there services and costs. One guy said I didn't need to service the front/rear diffs (my truck has only 50k miles and hasn't been used in 4wd that much), and the other Aamco guy said I should. Definitely getting the tranny serviced, but what do you guys think about the front/rear diffs getting serviced.

BTW, both guys were told I'd be using the vehicle for plowing.

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I would definitely service the rear diff. It should be serviced every 30k to 50k. It is simple enought to do at home. Just remove the cover and let all the gear oil drain. Clean all the mating surface and apply gasket sealer. Bolt everything back up and pour new 80-90wt oil in. If you have a limited slip you will need to add a friction modifier also. A diff service at a shop will cost about $40.00. Do it yourself for about $10.00
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

duno about on your diff but some have a drain plug so you dont need to pop the cover and thus need a gasket. The newer chevys dont take a "friction modifier" thats for a clutch type limited slip. If your truck calls for the GM syn diff stuff and you have a locker or G80 you can either use GM's lube aka grape juice or I use mobil one syn 75 90w. I would change you front fluid. Especially if it hasnt been done before. It should be done within the first 1k miles on a new truck. You will know why when you do it if it hasnt been done, it will look like baby **** coming outa there. Regular 80 90 will work. I run the same 75 90 w in the front but the newer larger trucks I know had problems with the breather plug deal not being set up for syn oil and it casuing leaking. Mine and the HD plug that dosnt get eaten by syn oil is white. Either make sure you have a compatible breather(cheap or a free TSB fix from the GM man) or run conventional up front. I also run mobil one syn ATF in my transfer case. 2 quarts so it fairly cheap to run it there. Aslo you should drain and refil your rear diff after 500-1k miles when you first get your truck as per GM recomendations.

JPMAKO Senior Member

You should definitely change both.
    It can only help with preventing any future problems.
    Anyone else love the smell of Gear oil?
    To me it smells like rotten puntango. :nono:
    I really hate the smell of that stuff...
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have my tranny fluid changed and the bands adjusted every year before the plowing season- diff fluids are dome based on the owner's manual in my glovebox- check yours under severs duty (plowing is severe duty) and deside based on that.
  6. ratlover

from IL

Never used GM's lube did ya? there is a reason they call it grape juice.....although for what they charge I will deal with the stink and run mobil 1
  7. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Thanks guys. Having it all done tomorrow. $175 for tranny service and front and rear diff service - replacing gasket & filter, exchanging all fluid (incl torque coverter) cleaning pan and doing diff. service too.

OK price? Not going to do it myself, so sounds ok to me.
  8. ratlover

from IL

Do you have a locker in the back or the g80 option code? I would ask what they want to put a drain plug in your trans pan while doing the service. Well wotrth the price IMO. Its all an easy job to do yourself but if you dont have a place to do it or the time then let them do it. price dosnt seem too far outa line, remember if you were doing it yourself you would be going through around 5 gallons of atf, 8 quarts of diff lube 4 of witch possibly being syn, a filter and a gasket.

Make sure they are putting the right fluid in your diff if you have a gov lock. Also the transfer case would be a good idea. Its easy and shouldnt cost too much, one drain at the bottom, pop out the fill plug and refill with 2 quarts.

JPMAKO Senior Member

Nope I have never used it!
    I don't currently own any GM products but that is going to change very soon my friend.

Now that I know you can get the plow prep package on the Duramax/Allison extended cab, I am getting one soon. How do you like yours so far?
    You have a Reg Cab right?
    How has the truck been holding up?

10. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Son Of A B!tch

Just got back from the place. As I am going over the services with the guy I mention to him that it is a total fluid exchange including the Torque Converter. He says, "No, the machine to do that service is broken." I specifically asked him that on the phone before I drove my ass all the way over there. I HATE when people in the service business are full of Sh%T and waste my time!!!
  11. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Hmm...I was just going to post a thread about servicing your front/rear differentials. I took my truck in to get serviced and the guy at the dealership told me if I plow I should get my front/rear differentials serviced every year? I had it done...ran me about $200? Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the ins and outs of vehicles...I just want mine to run smoothly and last. Should I continue to get my front/rear differentials serviced every year, or was he just trying to get more money out of me?
  12. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

MR Snowplow - I don't know how different your diffs and mine are, but Aamco was gonna charge me $30 a piece to change the fluid.

BTW - Called around and a different Aamco is having a sale on Tranny services. Saving myself $50!! Pays to call around I guess....
  13. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Thanks for the info...I'm going to look around next time! :waving:
  14. ratlover

from IL

Yup a reg cab. well my truck should be problem free but thats a long story ;) Too much beating up on mustangs in a 7k pound truck I guess.

You can get all the fluid out of the trans yourself and a special "machine" isnt needed regardless what they tell you.

I would say the diffs done once a year is probably over kill. unless you drive a crapload of miles. Trans service every year is a good idea though, that why a drain plug in the trans is a good idea IMO. Much easier and its easy to do it yourself.

Hop on over to dieselplace.com, great group of guys that are into the 2500HD and 3500's and are up on the duramax, allison and know a bit about the 6.5's too.
  15. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

How do you remove fluid from the converter without a machine?
  16. osbo68

osbo68 Member

That's a good question? I was just thinking that! :confused:
  17. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

my superduty has a plug in the tranny pan and the bottom of the converter has a plug..will be changing my fluids tomorrow or thursday when the warm weather hits...saves money over having a shop do it..
  18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i do my front real and diffs at 30k and the tranny at 50k a flush every year
  19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I change my diffs. and flush my tranny every year.
  20. ratlover

from IL

the converter shares fluid with the trans, it pumps it back and forth. If you yank your cooler line going back into the trans you can pump the old fluid out and then you keep adding new. There is a lenghty write up somewere here that I could find if your actually interested.....The machines basicly do the same thing although some just filter your old fluid and pump it back in I believe. The machines are easier to use but do no better of a job. If someone tells you that they are lying becasue its possible to get 100% of the old fluid out with the DIY method so what could be better than that?