1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission retrofit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by marty1mc, Dec 20, 2002.

1. marty1mc

marty1mc Junior Member

Neat forum, just found it. This is my second post tonight. I have an 85 chevy k-10, 4x4, 4.3l-6, 4 speed (1-low and 3 speed). I wanted to put in a 5 speed. I know they match the 5 speed to the 4.3l in newer models. Does anyone know if it will work with my truck? I like the mileage the 4.3l gets, it just needs another gear to work well.

2. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

if you can find a nv 4500 cheap it bolts right in same mounts lenght everything but for the price of one around here my 1980 3/4 4x4 doesnt need it that bad as it is not a daily driver

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You will need to find adapter for the T case. Your K-10 has out puts on the pass side, and all the NV4500 compatable t cases are drivers side. If you can find a NV 4500 out of a Pre 93 Dodge, you should be able to swap bell housings and get it to work.
    Or try one of the many adapter places like advanced adapters and the like. Or get one machined local to you.
    Dino

4. marty1mc

marty1mc Junior Member

Thanks guys. I agree with the expense, that is why I have never done it. However, my current transmission is starting to make alot of noise. I think it is the bearings on 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyway, I think it may be the right time to try.

5. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

the 205 in the truck now should bolt right up to the 4500 as it was installed that way in some dodge trucks no need for a adapter

6. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

Transmission swap??

Can anyone help with transmission swap info. I have a '78 GMC 4x4 with a 3 speed(with low) and a 205 transfer case. I want to swap to automatic. My question is will a 700R fit. I know a 400 will fit, but i like the idea of the overdrive. Thanks

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Even tho that tranny and t case combo was available for the dodges, that doesnt mean they will just bolt up. Case in point, many TH 400 trannies were used with 205's and also with 208 t cases. But you can not just interchange the t cases, you have to have the proper output shaft for each tranny to t case application.
    I did however mention that a 5 sp and 205 t case combo from a dodge with the proper bell housing may work for him.
    As for the manual to auto swap for your 78, it also can be done. The easiest way is to buy the units all together. But since that may be tough, a properly built 700 R4, along with the proper adapter and 205 assembly is possible, but again since that cobo never came from GM, you will have to find the pieces to get it all to mesh.
    Dino

8. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

if you realy want the 700 sell the 4spd/205 combo and buy a complete 700/208 set up the 208 is not as strong as the 205 but has a lower low range and was factory behind a 700 so no adapters needed

9. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

Tranny Swap

Thanks for the info. Anyone looking for a 4 speed/205 combo??