1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Greenery, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Hey guys,
    I've got a question regarding tranny temps.
    My '01 2500HD 6.0 tranny seems to be running hotter than it has before. Driving from site to site it seems fine at about 170 or so but when i'm plowing it climbs up to around 200 -210. last year this truck never saw 200 when plowing but now it is. Is this possibly a sign that bad things are around the corner for it? I do believe it is the 4l80 and it has the stock cooler.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Has it done it all this year or just the last storm? If it was just the last one I wouldn't worry it was warm out and pushing that heavy crap.

3. Greenery

Ya from what I remember the first couple of pushes which were pretty easy it was running under 200. I guess the concrete that we were pushing around this past week probably did contribute to it i'm just a little nervous as I can't afford to have this truck go down in the middle of a storm.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Concrete ???/ I thought you were pushing Snow...:laughing:

5. Greenery

It may as well have been concrete. It was extremely wet snow with a bit of rain mixed in.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doubtful there's a problem with the trans the increase temps were likely due to the extra snow load. No different than pulling a trailer. Pulling 5K and temps run normal but pulling 10K they'll run a little warmer. Just done whatever you can to keep it as cool as you can and you'll be ok. Sometimes in those heavy wet snows low range is needed occasionally to bring the trans temp down but the operator can have just as much impact. Ease up on it some, take smaller bites and don't stack so hard (if you are). Stacking places great strain on the torque converter and will cause temps to rise fast with heavy snow especially.

Fixing the root cause by installing a larger cooler is also a wise move.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I believe you had mentioned before that keeping the tranny temp at or below 200* is key to trans life- I assumed that this was the case with dino ATF, is this correct?

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Some thing B&B forgot to mention that he has before...Use tow / haul button on the shifter when plowing ...
    Easier on the trans....

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  9. Greenery

Typically I only use 1st and reverse so the tow/haul mode doesn't come into play for me but good advice nonetheless.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

200* or less is where you want to keep it as much as possible regardless of fluid type as it will still prolong the life of the trans regardless. Even though synthetic can be run at a higher temp then dino oil, the higher temp still isn't great for the trans components themselves, specifically seals/O-rings. However synthetic will help maintain lower temps to begin with and also give you more "safe" temp range before you cook the fluid.