1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hey guys I have a question for you all. My 1985 F-250 4x4 and with a C6 tranny. Kinda hesatates to shift to third gear. Only if I am going slow. But if I am going at a good steady speed and speeding up it shifts fine. I did change the tranny fluid in august of this year. I just wanted to know what you guys think. Or am I making a big deal over notthing. and the truck had plenty of pulling power and it does not slip at all. the truck has 173,000 miles on it. Thanks

2. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Ouick up date

Well I just check the tranny fuild level and it fine, and the trans fuild looks good and it smells good too. I did notice one thing on the tranny dip-stick. It said to use dexron 2, the repair manule said to use Mercon. I when I did the trans filter and fuild change. I went to the parts store and the only thing that I could fine was Mecron/Dexron 3. And I asked the guy there and said that it is the same stuff, And it either could be used in a Mecron situation or a Dexron 3 situation. So here is the question is the repair manule right, or is the dip-stick right. At this time I have Mercon in it. The repair manule said for the C6 from 1981 and on use Mercon. Right now I am very confused :confused: on what to do now. Any help would be great. THANKS

3. New School

New School Junior Member

The only times I have exsperinced an problems with tranmissions is when i change fluids, been told not to change fluid unless color is off:cool:

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It is good to change fluids. I would maybe try to get an answer from another source. I would use whichever of those two fluids is supposed to be better.