1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Southern Lawns, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns Junior Member

I think I know the answer BUT! thought it best to ask. I have a Chevy 2500 with A/T, when I tow my landscape 14' trailer I put it in D versus OD, I live on total flatland and drive in the suburbs for the most part. Should I use OD instead? Thanks
    Raymond

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I know that they say you should tow in D but I had a ton of boat behind my C-1500 for quite a while and it towed fine in OD. I would definately check either with a dealer or your owners manual to get the correct info.

Bruce

3. Garet

Garet Senior Member

D

I would think your best bet would to tow in D. OD is mainly for freeway cruising. D might take some stress off your tranny.

4. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer Junior Member

I would let your truck tell you what it wants to do. If it is "searching" for a gear all the time run it in D. If you are running pretty flat, use OD and maybe save a few $ on gas. Does you truck have the L80E tranny. I assume it does. I think they are a little tougher than the L60E in my 1500. I had to rebuild mine at about 100K and now with 203K it feels like it could use it again.

5. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns Junior Member

Thanks

The truck has 198,000 miles on it. The tranny has been replaced somewere around the 150,000 range. Don't really know what is in it now. I bought the truck in a closed bid auction from a family member out of state. Paid close to nothing for it but would hate to put undo stress on it regardless. I will pay closer attention to the searching but if I remember it runs OK in OD and doesn't appear to be changing much. I guess in the wide open area OD may be OK and around town I will go with D. Thanks for all your input.
    Raymond

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn Junior Member

trans

If you go to a 4:11 gear you will be able to tow in OD easily, plus accelerate better. My 89 had a 3:08 gear and it really hunted in and out of OD.
    Also, B&M makes a shift valve kit available through summit racing equipt that elimates hunting.