1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wheeler4x4, Jun 17, 2009.

1. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

Hi evrybody. I just found a 93 K1500 Suburban. I need a 4L60E Trans. I'm told is year specific. Anybody know if that's true? I have not had any luck finding a used trans. Can I install a L480E with out a big hassle?
    Thanks in advance
    Wheeler

2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Can't answer your question on "what fits what", but the following website will help you find one, and it also does cross-referencing, that is what will fit what:

www.car-part.com

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think your 93 has the electronics to run a L80E ! ! ! Try a trk resting place for a used one ..... If necessary have it rebuilt .... Or get a rebuilt one from a parts store ....

4. plowin4u

plowin4u Member

Yes 93 is specific year only, was lucky to find one on craigslist for my 93 blazer.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like already mentioned the '93 is specific if your attempting to do a direct in and out swap. If you have a trans shop helping then up to the '95 model year can be modified to work (needs internal changes/mods).

Swapping to the 80E is do-able, it just depends on what your "big hassle" threshold is. Need to do a rewire on the trans wiring harness, relocate the trans cross member slightly, reconfigure the cooler lines, and disassemble the transfer case to swap to the 32 spline input shaft that the 80E uses...you'll also need the trans-to-Tcase adapter plate for the 80E. Both of which you'll more than likely have to purchase new from GM since they're like hens teeth on the salvage yards.

6. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

I have found that out. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get mine rebuilt. I only have $500.00 into the truck so another $500.00 - $750.00 for a rebuild is do-able.
    Thanks for all your help and information:waving::waving: