1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmission mind bender

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ben-jamin, Mar 31, 2005.

1. ben-jamin

ben-jamin Junior Member
    from texas

98 dodge transmission mind bender

have a 98 dodge 1500 quad cab with the 4speed auto o/d. It acts perfect for about 15 minutes of driving then starts downshifting or slipping and then when you stop at a redlight it wants to start of in 3rd instead of 1st. I can pull it down into 1st and it takes off fine. It's almost like when the trans gets warm it doesnt want to be driven anymore. park it for a while and start over again. could there be a pressure switch or something that is messing up when it gets warm. I cant make it mess up untill it gets warm. then its like a bucking bronco. up and down. I'm hopping mad. hate to buy a new trans if its only a sensor or something.
    I changed the fluid to +3 and put the additive in it but no change. and i put a new tps on but no change.
    love the truck hate the buck. :redbounce
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Check out the Dodge sites on the net for info and help from a larger Dodge dedicated community. www.turbodieselregister.com, dodgeram.info, dodgeram.org, etc.
  3. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Possibly the Govenor Sensor,
  4. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

dont know if this helps but i had the same problem on a gm trans and i unplugged the t/c lock-up and it cured the problem. i just dont have lock-up on it anymore. iam not sure if you can do this on a dodge or not iam sure someone on here will let you knoe if you can. you gotta have a little confidence in these guys they are pretty slick.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

no, you can't simply unplug it on a Dodge- it's controlled by the PCM and the control wires are part of the master plug to the transmission with is electronically controlled in almost all models (RH is hydraulic RE is electronic control)