1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission leakage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by glendorasbox85, May 29, 2005.

1. glendorasbox85

glendorasbox85 Junior Member

Can anyone help? I have a 93 Z71 4x4. Having problems with transmission fluid leakage. No leaking while parked or driving at lower speeds. When I attempt travel at higher speeds on interstate, it will start smoking real bad, when pulling off to side of road to check it, transmission fluid will be leaking out rather heavily. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

were is it leaking at?

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be over filled and foaming out of the dip stick tube. Leaking cooling line, gaskets gone on dip stick,front or back seal going bad on tranny.
    I had a bad dip stick retainer send my Really Nice Caravan up in flames when it splashed on to the exhaust manifold!

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

There was a recall for the 4L60 for pumping out fluid. not sure which years exactly. They replaced my dipstick (and tube I think)...Might be worth looking into...

5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

The recalled dipstick has a cam type lever on it that tightens up against a rubber gasket into the tube. The original design had no cam lever. If your trans dip stick has a cam lever on it, it is the new style.

Sounds like you might also be overheating? How fast are you driving? Do you have a trans temp gauge? My trans stays cool up to 80 mph, then over 80 mph it tends to heat up rather quickly. Something to look into. I have a 92 chevy.

Kevin