1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission issue

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by V_Scapes, Jan 22, 2012.

1. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I might have fried the trans on my 2007 3500. I was out plowing all yesterday and the truck ran great. today I go to plow my grandmas driveway and when I left I put the truck in reverse, backup about 50', stopped, put it in drive and when i went to go the truck kept going in reverse, so i stopped and tried to go again. It went into drive but not without a nice shudder.
    So I get home, back down the driveway, and have to pull foward to straighten out and she didnt want to go into drive, id hit the gas and nothing came from the trans. So i get it to the bottom of the driveway and when its in D and im on the gas the RPMs have to come up for me to move but its got some shudder to it with some squeling.
    Im thinking this is due to my stupidity from keeping the truck in 2wd yesterday since the snow wasnt heavy but the rear tires probably ended up doing too much spinning, making the trans way too hot. i baby the trans too, always stop before shifting, let it warm up in the morning, never romping on the gas. Was hoping someone could give me some insight, dont know too much about transmissions, hopefully i can get it looked at tommorow. thanks.:rolleyes:
  2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You check the fluid? My guess is it's burnt...and the trans is done for...
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Is the truck throwing any codes? Is it continuing to act up this morning?

Doesn't sound good whatever it is.
  4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Fluid is fine, a few quarts where replaced when i had the trans lines replaced. Although when i checked the fluid the level was well above the "hot" mark. truck isnt throwing codes either. Talked to the trans shop today, hopefully i can get it down there tommorow.
  5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I lost the torque converter on my 05 Ram last month....110,000 miles....cant complain......other than the bill to repair
  6. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Im hoping its only the torque converter. i went to take the plow off today and finally killed the thing. no drive or reverse...nothing. had to get her towed to the shop.
  7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

So why were you plowing in 2wd anyway? I see people talk about it on here but I've never understood the reasoning.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

that thing got a hemi
  10. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I plow in 2wd, 400 pounds of sand and rear end and no reason to put in 4wd. The snow was very light. My rear tires never broke loose. Plus I keep my backing up to a minimum. Oh And its to save fuel not 4wd.
  11. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

did you really say you plow in 2 wheel drive to save fuel not the 4 wheel drive???
  12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL - I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying. I'm going to read it again just to make sure....yep, that's what he said.
  13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm always in 4wd while plowing, I see no reason not too. You aren't saving fuel in 2wd and aren't helping any parts either.
  14. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Anyone every try and plow with a mason dump in 4wd with a 9' blade on the front in a parking lot for 9 hours. Steering becomes a bit of a challenge. So i figured when I dont need 4wd i take it out, makes plowing alot easier, that truck is hard enough to manuever. Obviously it was a big mistake, lesson learned.
    And whats this talk about minimal reversing? Too much heats up the trans quicker?
  15. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I never use reverse while im plowing.
  16. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

So you were plowing in 2WD so the truck would steer easier ? Now that makes sence as long as the tires aren't spinning !
  17. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

ah but the torque converter failing took out the rest of the trans......full rebuild......billet converter.....

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I think the biggest mistake was when you kept on running the truck after the hickup. Personally as soon as there is a issue like that with a trans time to get the wrecker involved. Sometimes they can be saved with miniumum of repairs but after they have been run to the point of complete failure it will always cost much more to fix than any tow...

2wd vs 4X4??v I plow in 2wd 90% the time. I feel drivers will be less aggressive in 2wd and push the truck less. Normally plow with a yd of salt in the rear to help in traction and drop the truck in 4x4 when the snow gets stupid deep or entering a loading dock.
  19. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

The thing is i really didnt run it after the first incident. I brought it back home and parked it. I HAD to take the plow off before it went anywhere and just that little bit did it in.
  20. RustyRam

RustyRam Junior Member

So, before you bury your head in the 400# of sand in the back of your truck, no one has answered the question. Poked ya with a stick thru the fence for laughs but... What did having his truck in 2wd with good traction due to hurt his transmission? I been doing this exact same thing over 30 yrs and never hurt anything. I get less wear/tare, measurable fuel improvement, (An Hr of run time per fill up) none of that annoying crabbing and related binding, improved tire wear too. I would guess that if there's fault it would be the trans was over full. If ya paid for that, I'd pay that man a visit! He may have also used incorrect ATF for your truck?! Over full AT's are a big cause for failure, not by running it in 2wd. By their logic, we all ought to lock our x-fer cases in 4x4 now, permanently. I'll wait for ya'all to return.
    V Scapes, I wouldn't change anything your doing as far as pushing snow in 2wd, mechanics maybe but the FACT is your trans has no idea weather your x-fer case is in 4x, 2x, 4x low or not at all. Seems to me, if ya wanna split hairs, the 4x4 would make more heat & work for the transmission and motor with all the drive line bind on good traction. Id bet if ya look up on the sun visor it will tell ya not to run 4x4 in good traction conditions. That would be a good lesson learned. Free advise is worth want ya paid for it. Ask your dodge service guy if you can speak to their trans guru, he may back you up Re; overfilled trans & correct fluid. He should anyway.
    There is nothing wrong with using reverse either, other that the time lost. The trans fluid, converter etc all continue to run the same direction, no matter what direction the truck is going. Thats my $.02 worth, but you can have it for free ; )