1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission is done

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by John O., Jan 22, 2006.

1. John O.

John O. Member

i was plowing last night, and i was on my last job (which was my neighbor) put it into reverse heard a loud bang and lost reverse what are you guys paying for rebuilt transmissions and how often are you guys going through them my truck is a 97 250HD 5.8 automatic 94,000 miles
  2. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

i'd say no more than $800...if that....
  3. John O.

John O. Member

that sounds cheap the one quote i got was 1300
  4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a 90 k5 blazer with overdrive..either a 200r4 or 700r4 and the 1st time we had a storm this year i blew reverse myself. It is around 1100-1400 to rebuild ..
  5. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

its been yrs since i had tranny troubles, but ill tell you something i learned, it was a 400 tranny in a 85 3/4 ton we had mega snow that year and i keep going through rebuild ones left and right ,finally got feed up went to gm got a rebuilt factory direct in the crate, never had a bit of trouble with it , its still in that truck works fine, it cost me few bucks more but well worth it, check out gm ,, trouble with those tranny shops they throw half the pieces in the trash,and put the rest in backwards:cool:
  6. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

I paid $1400 to rebuild a th 350.
  7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

When you are going to rebuild you have to do a hard fix for this type of rig. do some research and ask some questions about the shop who is doing the work most chain store shops just fix the problem then the problem comes back. With the hard fix I am talking about new steal plant. gears, pump work ect. With my a4ld in the bronco's they cost about 3 grand to set up rite but worth every penny so dont just run out to the first guy or cheapest shop.
  8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

John O.- You have a E4OD trans in your 97. It will cost more then $800 just for the soft parts to rebuild that trans, less hard parts, labor, torque converter, and fluids. It is not a easy trans to rebuild, there are a lot of updates that need to be done to make it a real reliable trans. I do know of a good trans shop near you, Clutchmasters in Crystal Lake. I do not work for them I have just heard good things. You are getting a low ball quote for anything less then $2500 then add about $900 for a good t/c. I run diesels with that trans truck pulling and dragracing and the real good rebuilds are upwards of $4000 for a E4OD behind a Powerstroke. There are only a few trans rebuilders in the country that can build a truly "bullit proof" E4OD. Brians Truck Shop in Lead Hill, AR(870-422-3673), Suncoast in FL, Monsterbox, from Dieselsite in FL(888-414-3454), John Woods Automotive in So. CA. So I would say expect to pay around $2500-2800 not including a t/c. Precision Industries out of TN. I know this sounds like a lot of money, and people can get TH350 or TH400's rebuilt for less but thats a different trans so that is not a fair comparision. Like comparing a E4OD to a HT700 Allison rebuild, Allison will run around $10,000. One last thing I forgot Monsterbox can be bought in a kit form.