1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission installation proems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by datank450, Nov 12, 2014.

1. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I need some technical help with my transmission.
    I did a clutch on my f350 and went to do a test drive. When I went to put it in gear, the gears ground, and when I push the clutch to the floor it seems like it wants to stall the engine until I back off the clutch.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you did something wrong
    What if you put it in gear, push in the clutch and start the trk? Be careful that nothing is in front of you.

3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know that specific truck but I have seen a friction disc put in backwards do that.

4. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Does anybody know if this truck has an adjustable pivot ball stud, if so, how to adjust it?

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What year truck. Thought ford started using internal slave cylinders late 80's early 90's. Sadly I don't think you have any other option but to yank tranny back out and see whats wrong.

6. dieselss

No it doesn't

7. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Similarly, a couple guys next to me are the type who get a couple block to bell housing bolts started by a couple threads and then draw them together with an impact with no 'feel' or awareness.

Last summer they had a job with similar symptoms as yours. Spent a week modifying clutch cable bracket etc and still no luck. Finally pulled it apart and due to not having the input splines lined up correctly it just mashed the center of the disc apart destroying it and binding everything up.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  8. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

I guess I have to look at this with the glass half full. All of the pain in the neck bolts or studs that are rusted have been replaced and I know what is exactly involved in separating the tranny and getting it back up.
    I guess I'll just have more patients while making the connection.

9. dieselss

Make sure the pressure plate is on the right way, and the needle bearing is not smashed

10. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

Could be a number of things,clutch disc is backwards, already listed splines not lined up and damaged the the disk. Not sure what year it is but you could try bleeding the hydraulic clutch and last but not least,not sure what years some had a problem with the firewall flexing due to age,usage. I would check those before I pull the tranny out again. Shouldnt take long to check them., I know the bleeding is a long shot but its easy to check,bled.If its a rebuilt pressure plate you put in could also be the culprit.
    Good luck

11. dieselss

Can't bleed those clutches. No bleeder

12. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Ok I pulled the tranny again and figured out my problem, I think... My problem was the throw out bearing sheared off and the plastic part of the bearing I thought was part of the transmission. One throw out bearing on top of the sheared off bearing set the clutch fork too far out. When I would push on the clutch it would make the clutch fork teeter totter on the input shaft rather than a sliding back and forth action. The slave cylinder would push the clutch fork into the pressure plate and this would result in the pressure plate grinding on the clutch fork witch made the engine slow down and stall.
    I didn't get the tranny back up yet because for some reason the clutch pivot stud broke off and nobody had one in stock. I have my fingers crossed hoping everything is fine when I get it back together for my first test drive.
    Thanks everybody for your help.

13. dieselss

Well glad you got it fingered out,,,,sorry you had to drop the trans again

14. datank450

datank450 Senior Member

Yeah thanks,
    It was a pain in the ass cause this was my first time ever digging into a transmission, it's like everything was foreign language to me, but after a few choice words, busted knuckles, elbow grease and the internet, one like me is all kinda smart now. I took everything apart this time in supersonic speed, hopefully it goes back together super easy for me this time since that leftover bearing is out of the way.
    Thanks buddy!!!