1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Info

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Tchase, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

Can anyone tell me if the 700R tranny from a 6.2 l diesel will bolt to a turbo 400 trans. Is the output shaft right?
    Thanks

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Do you mean can you swap a 700r4 into a truck that currently has a TH400? either wy the answer is yes,but you will need adapter,pssoibly have to shorten/lenthen driveshafts.

3. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

Yes, the truck currently has a 3 speed with a 205 case. I want to go automatic. I just bought an 85 Suburban with a 6.2l and a 700r. I am going to put the engine/tranny in my truck, and need to know what I need to do as far as cases go. The Sub is 2WD.

Thanks

4. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

Sorry, Meant to ask if it would bolt to the transfer case. My mistake.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Firdt off the 700r4 needs to be diassembled to the bottom of the case,to put in a 4x4 output shaft,then adanced adapters dhould be able to set you up with an adapter plate to put your 205 behind it.expect to pay around 150-200 labor to swap the shafts unless you can do it yourself.If the trans is marginal the shop will tell you,and recommend a rebuild since its totally apart at this point.The 4x4 700r4'd use a thicker casr,near the bellhousing,with some models having an aluminum tc shield with braces,if you plan to off road hard,you may break a 2wd case,otherwise you will be fine.good luck.

6. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks,

I am planning a rebuild while its out. No better time. My brother in law just rebuilt his (He's a mechanic). Local trans shop has 4x4 tail shaft for it. The thing I was concerned about was that the 205 case I have requires the large tailshaft, and the 700r had the smaller, but I think I've got it figured out. Thanks