1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission identity

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TRUP, Feb 4, 2003.

1. TRUP

TRUP Member

I thought the transmission for an 82 K20 was supposed to be a "400", but looking at the shape of the oil pan, indicates that I might have a swap. The transmission oil pan on my K20 is square, and I have seen diagrams of the oil pans of 400's, and they're anything but square. Doesanybody care to take guess at what kind of tranny I have? The tranny runs okay. I'd like to know what it is, so I will buy the correct filter for it.:confused:
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

sounds like a th-350,
    is the pan is square with one corner cut off?
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Sqaure pan,must be an early 700r4 trans.It is an OD trans,so you should have an oD on the shift selector,unless it was swapped in.Go under and look on the rear of the trans,the 700R4 does not use a vacuum modulator,the Th350/400 do.If it has one,its not a 700R4.
  4. TRUP

TRUP Member

No OD on the shift indicator, but "automatic overdrive" is printed on the indicator bezel. I thought the tranny was a 700 too.
  5. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Automatic Overdrive = 700r4 Shift indicator probably reads:

With automatic overdrive printed underneath. Change that filter :)