1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mnnorthwoods, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mnnorthwoods

mnnorthwoods Junior Member

I got stuck plowing this afternoon with the 98 Dodge Ram. I was rocking beteween drive and reverse. When the reverse went out. I have foreward in all ranges in both 2 wheel, 4 wheel low and high. I 'm thinking either linkage or reverse band on the transmission. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have not had any transmission done in 25 years. What would it cost to have rebuilt reverse bands installed? I have a tow truck coming in the morning.
  2. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Why tow it if you have forward ranges? Drive it to the shop! I dunno whats suppose to be applied but i'd just drop the pan and see, sometimes if the band is way out of adjustment the adjustments bar can fall right out and leave you with problems.
  3. mnnorthwoods

mnnorthwoods Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. They picked the truck up at 5:30 this morning. I had it stuck in forward on a small side road that I was plowing. I needed reserve to back out. I could not turn any where in forward to get back on the main road.

Update-The Dodge dealer just called and said they made a last, final adjustment on the reverse band. He indicated it may last one day or one year. A reman transmission is $2,500. I think I will just pick the truck up and go for it and see if I can make it last.

He said if I plow in 4 Low this will help. Not sure I can deal with the low speed on some of the hills I plow. Any ideas on this recommendation.
  4. 30dodgeboy

30dodgeboy Junior Member

Your transmission uses the front clutch and reverse band to get reverse (it also uses the direct clutch in the OD section for any range that isn't overdrive). If you have all of the forward ranges but no reverse, the problem is with the reverse band or the servo that activates it. If you had no reverse, then dealer adjusted it and you now have reverse, the band was severely worn and the fix most likely will not work long. I'd bet the friction lining was worn off the band and your transmission oil is now darkened and smells burned.

Using low range is certainly easier on the transmission. It may help make the trans last a little longer, but a repair will be required.