1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission has gone two years in a row.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rick74, Feb 11, 2011.

1. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

Like I said, my tranny has gone two years in a row. Both times it has heated up and I was told that I burned the clutch plates. My gauge never goes over 170 but they say that it has reached 250 or higher. Is my gauge not working correctly? What can I do to try and keep it cooler. The truck is an 2005 Gmc Sierra 3500. I do have a 9.5 foot V plow on it, but the engine temp gauge stays low so I should be getting enough airflow shouldn' t I. No I don't beat on my truck like I am sure people will say that I am doing to it. Just trying to get some helpful answers. Thanks.

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That is strange that the gauge doesn't read the hot temps. Is it a factory install?

It is probably worth putting an auxiliary cooler on there, or upgrading it if it is already equipped. Forget what the gauge says if you are cooking the tranny. I just installed one in my truck that has an electric fan-it should help significantly. I found my temps skyrocketed when plowing because I wasn't moving fast enough to get airflow past my cooler. The electric fan kicks on with a t-stat controlled by incoming fluid temps.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

4. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

What counts is what is in front of your tranny and behind. a high torgue engine and a high ratio rear end spell disaster for trannys.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

A technical service bulletin came out september of 2009 that Insufficient oil flow through the ATF oil cooling system will cause premature transmission failure.Dealer had to do a system flush and watch the flow and temperature of the fluid while doing the flush.

6. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

Built Ford Tough :)

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

atleast my gm has a tranny fluid dip stick. your newer fords dont :jester:

8. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Still wanna know what size engine and gear ratio. Huh

9. damian

damian Senior Member

you say 2 tranies,a beer bottle on the bench overhaul isnt a new trany to me.very few local shops if any are capable of remanufacturing or doing the upgrading and post build testing that is required for modern electronic overdrive tranies.i bet your trans has the same undetected problems it had when it failed the first time.paper, rubber, ring and seal kits with clutches and steels a pump,case and center support bushing wont fix a 4l80e that has boost pressure problems,cross leaks and worn valve bores.i have overhauled transmissions for 20 years and realized a few years ago i am not serving my customers as well as they deserve,jasper or serta units only.good luck.

10. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

the engine is a 6.0

and gear ratio, I am not sure of.

11. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

ditto sweetk.Did you get it rebuild or replaced? Maybe its time for a transmission cooler

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What failed? Reverse?

13. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

rebuilt

and I did get a new transmission cooler and a new radiator also

14. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

No problems with reverse. Second gear failed.

15. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Both times? Was it a factory type rebuild ie GM, TCI,Jasper,B&M. Or the local tranny shop? I'm guessing local and would find someone else. Sounds like they didn't set it up correctly. Did they try and add extra clutch plates, they may not have machined/clearanced it correctly.

16. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I always thought GM transmissions don't go!
    Try a bigger cooler!

17. Squires

Squires Senior Member

You plowing in D or in 1?
    I believe that when in D the trans automatically reverts to 2nd gear, pushing snow plus the weight of a possible salter would be alot of strain, as well as possibly an improper rebuild.
    How many miles are we talking between rebuilds?

18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

No in drive it will shift 1,2,3,4. Putting it in 1 will keep it from shifting which will reduce load because of gearing and reduce heat

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  19. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

local transmission shop. tried bigger coolers both times.

20. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

Mostly plowing in drive. After reading lots of posts, I should try 1 instead of D. I only have half a yard at a time in my sander, so I don't think that is adding to much strain on transmission. But I could be wrong.