1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Fluid in my E-47... I think?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Fantastic, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

After getting my new motor put on and getting this old E-47 working I checked the fluid and I believe it's transmission fluid.

Anyone know how to be sure?? It's reddish in colour and that's about all I know.

Should I just pull the top plate off drain it and then flush the rams and pump?? Or can I just use it as is??

Thanks for the help

2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

The performance of my E47 was drastically improved in weather below 40deg F when I switched from ATF to plow fluid. I've never seen red plow fluid so my guess would be you have ATF. A Preseason flush and fill with plow fluid is what I would recommend.

3. If you pull off the top plate, be prepared !!!

The best way is to push the lift ram all the way down,
    open the drain in the front below the reservoir,
    remove your hoses and push the plow left and right to push all
    the fluid out.

Refill and test.

We use Western Hi-Performance fluid, 49311, on most makes.
    It is equivalent to Meyer,Boss, etc.

Regards,

SPW Tech

www.snowplowpartswarehouse.com

4. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

My E-47 is the very OLD kind with out a drain plug. Only has a fill screw on top.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

than take it off the truck, remove the fill plug, tip it over and let it drain.
    i would only remove the top plate if i was going to reseal the whole pump

6. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

If I did international work, I would rebuild it for you...but customs on the pump are ridiculous.

You need to get all of that fluid out of there. It's going to cost you a bit of time to do.

Order a basic seal kit.

remove fill plug

flip upside down over bucket, drain.

place in vench vice
    Remove top cap
    replace lift cylinder base seal, top cap seal, shaft O-ring, and wiper. Wash the heck out of it inside with some brake clean. Hone the cyliinder with a brake cylinder hone.
    Put it back together, don't forget to use the nylon washers supplied in the kit on the top 3 bolts

Fill it up, put a pair of quick hoses into the quick connects into the pump, leaving the opposite end open, and place the open ends in a bucket. Fill with the right fluid, and turn ONLY left and right until the fluid comes out blue/no longer red. You may have to top it off a few times.

7. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Would Meyers Hydra flush work better to flush the pump instead of using actual fluid? Or would I be left with putting fluid in to flush the Hudra flush out?

8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I haven't ever used it. Partly because I'm in the business of rebuilding pumps, not servicing them in the field...I take every single Meyer pump I get down to the last O-ring and completely rebuild them.

9. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Well, I hooked up the blade for a trial run and all is working :)

As for the fluid here's a little of what's in it...

At the pump
    [​IMG]

A bit that dripped out
    [​IMG]

At the ram
    [​IMG]

What do you think?? Is the milky looking stuff related to water in the pump or just dirty fluid?

Thanks

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Water in it. Replace and do a seal kit yearly.

11. tjctransport

yup. like said, that is water in trans fluid.
    get rid of it and get good clean blue juice in there.

12. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Ok... Thanks for the help... I'll post as I go... I'll have to change the fluid "on the truck" as I can't remove the unit from the harness... I don't have a big enough socket that'll fit the the bottom bolt... I guess I could just but two sockets ;)

Also, I think I'll be pulling a basic seal kit in... No sense in flushing this thing and not getting everything out... Give it a good start!! After all, it is back from the dead LOL

13. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

that's an old E-47, glad to see she's still chugging along... while your at it, install some fresh couplers on her, you probably still have the ball type on there, the pin type couplers are much better.

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

be sure to flush the angle cyl also....smith bros has an awesome on how to do it

15. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Smith Bros have it all... I just keep reading and looking... They're on Facebook too!!!

16. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

:( Can't find hydraulic fluid sold in quarts/litres.... Called around today and even hydraulic shops were saying to use ATF. Apparently it's what everyone around my area uses. I can get huge pails of hydraulic fluid but that's a crazy amount of $ for me to pay... Especially since this plow is for my driveway and a couple family members... I did buy a litre of "blue" when I purchased some meyers hydra flush from the states... Because it's considered oil I have to pay import charges... $22 extra on top of $30 shipping... Any one from Ontario in here know where to get hydraulic fluid in litre size?

I'm just about ready to add fluid as I've flushed the pump and the rams. Just need to wait for the seals to get here, change them and presto, ready for the season.

17. tjctransport

not hydraulic fluid. plow oil. there is a difference.

18. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Yes... That too lol... Still no one has it... There is a couple Meyer dealers about an hour away that I found and will call today.

19. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

A Napa or Bumper to bumper should have it. Carquest, maybe Autozone.

Otherwise, go to your local plow dealer. It doesn't have to even be Meyer fluid from a Meyer dealer. Really you just want BLUE plow fluid. Any plow shop worth their weight should have it.

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Is there a hitch city near you? Princess auto? Both should have plow fluid.
    Also disregard what is said about not popping the top of your meyer. Do not fear popping it off. Its really the only way to clean them.

I own two meyer pumps I've been using for ~20 years, have *never* changed any seals at all. No leaks. Every year (2 at most), you want to very thoroughly clean that sucker. There are a couple of bolts with screens in the base of the pump, and there is one screen that is only accessible if you REMOVE THE RESERVOIR.

HOWTO:

Cylinder up at least half way, if you have a bolt holding the arm to the shaft, undo it (so you can take it off by hand after). Loosen/remove the three bolts around the perimeter of the top cover. If the whole rod unscrews from the base, don't worry about it, keep going. GET A BUCKET!!! put the bucket roughly under the pump.

Now if your pump isn't vertical, and you have a helper, you should remove the bolt from the arm and hold the pump up as straight as it can go. If its leaning forward, you could spill some fluid. When the three bolts are off, use a hammer and *masonry chisel* (unlike a wood chisel, a masonry chisel is blunt) to *gently* tap the upper plate up from the reservoir. Once off, get it completely off and past the shaft.

Once the top is off the reservoir, you should be able to pull the lift cylinder out. The only thing holding it in is the reservoir cap. Gently rock it side to side and lift up to get it out.

With the bucket in one hand, lean the reservoir forward and spill the fluid out into the bucket. All of it.

The reservoir can now be removed from the pump for easy cleaning. It is held onto the base with a similar o-ring as the lid. Rock it gently side to side while lifting up on it.

Now get some rags with a light fluid like furnace oil, and clean that base out. Forget about flushing fluids, they don't work. Rag, old toothbrush, etc.

Assemble in reverse, fill with blue stuff.