1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmission dipstick

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Nov 8, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys on my dodge I changed the tranny filters and added fresh fluid, I checked a few times and cant tell if I have to much or not enough...when cold the fluid level is over the cold mark...but when hot its at the very tip of the stick below add. Any ideas??? Shes running fine no problems (as of yet).
    Thanks

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

did you drain the torque converter?

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It says on the dipstick how to check it. Should be running in neutral I think

4. dodgegmc1213

yea. I ran it around the shop then checked it. It was at the tip so i added more then drove home about 10 miles or so. Checked it again and was still at the tip. Let it sit then this morning it was above cold. I went threw all the gears and checked in neutral. Except this morning i checked before i started it.

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It has to be running,up to operating temp, and in neutral. If it's not in neutral the pump isn't operating and the level will falsely read high.

6. dodgegmc1213

so i probably dont have enough? Just checked it at operating temp in neutral and was like nothing on the stick

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yeah you don't have enough

8. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

\it must be up to operating temp. It's probably best to take it for a good run as opposed to just running it around the shop a few times.

9. dodgegmc1213

yea thats what i did. Drove it home lastnight then back to the shop this morning and back home with a traileq

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We just check them at idle after they sit for 15 minutes. I'm not driving a trans low on fluid

11. NThill93

NThill93 Member

if you just dropped the pan it should be 7-8 qts for a 48re