1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmission coolers

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by z_plow_master, Dec 23, 2004.

1. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

hello all :help:
    i have a 1997 ranger 4.0l 4x4 with a 5 speed auto transmission.snoway mt80 (6'8")
    i heard lots of people talking about trany coolers,how good are they.
    do i already have one in my truck, if not is it possible to install one,
    how far prices go.
    one more thing,at the beginning of last year's season i bought a new battery,
    i think my alternator draws up to 95 amps,can i add another battery to it,there is no problem so far, but the battery gauge drops every time i move the plow with the controller.
    so far the regular set up is working fine,
    but i hate it so much if anything related to these died on me while plowing,since i already thought about them .some of my accounts have nothing near it,i live in the Chicago suburbs, but i have couple far accounts that i have to plow.
    thanks for all your replies in advance.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  2. Tay

Tay Junior Member

Ford trans cooler

I increased the capacity of my alt. by going to an alt mechanic. Physicallly, the alt for my F350 is the same size but is rated at 135 amps. the largest I could find from Napa and Ford were 95 amp. As for the trans cooler, it should be able to be installed. Go talk to Ford dealer and then to your favorite and reliable mechanic. I think if you are going to plow, having a trans. cooler is a must.

Tay

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

you can buy transmission coolers alot cheaper at places like Summit Racing, they sell larger ones that are also considered for RV use as well.

last time I priced a locally sold cooler it was $85 and tiny, got one twice the size from summit delivered to my door for half that.
    You have a tranny cooler built into the radiator but its really small, follow the tranny lines and look for a auxilary cooler somewhere in the front of the truck

thats assuming of course you have a automatic transmission.

4. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

He stated in his post that he had an Auto. Since he said it's a 5 speed auto it's a 5RR5E transmission.

As far as the alternator is concerned. There was an optional 130 Amp alternator on 1996-2001 Rangers, which was also standard for 4.0 Explorers from 96-98. Even though it is larger physically, it's a direct swap, bolts and belts. I'd hit the junkyard.

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've got a 95 F-150, 4.9 straight 6, on the radiator, which line coming from the trasmission and which is going back to the transmission from the radiator? There is a top line and a bottom line, I'm trying to hook up an aux cooler. I want to hook it up from the line that is leaving the radiator and going back to the transmission, for the maximum effect. Thanks for the help!!

6. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

if you do have one it will be in front of your radiator, most new trucks come with them now but they are the snake type and they don't displace heat out very well so you need to get one that looks like a mini radiator!!!

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, I have the one like a mini radiator, I'm just trying to figure out which line to cut into. My Chiltons book doesn't do a very good job at defining which line is which. I just figured that someone on here could tell me real quick like, whether it is the top line or the bottom line.

8. raptorman03

just take it off and get a bucket to see witch one is the return

9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I missed that, I skimed over the post and the replies :eek:

do what raptor said- take one line off and see if pumps into the bucket or not, if it pumps in its obviously not the return line

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, I am aware of that process, however, I don't really want to unscrew anything from the radiator and take a chance on striping anything, busting anything as it's a 95 not a 05 and I imagine that they will be tough to take off, When I find out which one is the right one, I'll take a tube cutter and cut it in two, slip on the rubber hoses and be done with it, and not have to replace a radiator or have the radiator rethreaded and all that horse****. I just thought that someone would know right off the bat which line was which. Of course, I could cut one and see which way it's pumping, and if it's the wrong one, splice in a piece of rubber tubing and then cut the other one. Just trying to save some aggravation and $2 in material and $10 in gas to run to NAPA.

11. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

those lines come off pretty easily when you use a line or flare wrench, you can get a set of 4 pretty cheap at Sears, they come in handy when working on brake and tranny lines so you dont strip anything.

12. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, I'll go to Sears on Sunday, and check them out. I was just hoping to be able to get it done before then.

13. raptorman03

mine have never been off and my truck is a 92, and they came of nice

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Guy's, you caught me, I'm lazy. I don't want to go through a big long drawn out process, spend money on tools that I'll probably never use again or any of that. I was just hoping that someone would say, "it's the top one" or "it's the bottom one" that knew what they were talking about. I can't be the only person to put a cooler on a 95 F-150 straight 6, or could I?

15. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

just put it on any one you want if you dont want to put much effort into it.

16. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks smartass!!! I didn't say I didn't want to put any effort in it, I said I didn't want to put wasted effort in it. I was just looking for some help, I've given quite abit of help on here since becoming a member, if your last comment is the best help you can give, you need to keep it to yourself ass****. I want to install it on the return line, after it has gone through the radiator, that's wherre it will do the most good, and obviously you don't know that.

17. raptorman03

18. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

smartass?

I suggest you buy a set of $20 wrenches to do the job properly because you say you are worried about stripping or breaking a line, and you say you dont want to spend the money on something you will never use again?

You will use it on your brakes if you ever need to change the master cylinder or a brake line, $20 isnt exactly a huge investment and its not like you will use the tool and throw it in the garbage. You can also use it on hydrolic lines as well.

So I then suggest you just put it on any line, you really think it going to make that much of a difference mounting it on the return line?
    If you mount it on the return line you will stillthen be running the fluid thru the cooler which is mounted on the radiator anyhow

you REALLY think its going to then warm the fluid up and defeat the purpose of the transmission cooler if you run it on the intake side?

What if someone said the top one was the return line and was incorrect? You would not have known the difference

sorry no one had the easy way out answer for you, checking the lines is all of 5 minutes worth of work if that

at least I know enough to check these things for myself and not to be lazy

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  19. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Ok Newbie, thanks for all your help, you've been wonderful to deal with, your still a smartass and a ass****. Maybe I don't have $20 that I want to spend, did you ever think about that? Until new people like you decided to frequent this site, you could get a question answered in pretty quick time. Now that idiots like you have found this site, I'm not sure what it's worth anymore. You still never answered my question, is it the upper or lower line, obviously you are too stupid to answer that question intelligently, so bring on some more of your ******** answers. You used to be able to ask a question on this site and not worry about it being an incorrect answer, since people like you are here, I'm not sure any answer is worth a crap or the paper it is written on. I can't wait for you to ask a question, I'll be the first to try to help you out with an answer like you give. If questions on here have to pass your test as to whether or not they are worth asking, then this site has gone downhill. My suggestion is, to not pay any attention to any of your posts in the future, untill you can grow up. You can slam me on your opinion all you want, just look at the # of posts for each of us on this site.

20. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Take it easy now. There is no reason to get worked up over a tranny cooler.

Anyway, he's correct, get those wrenches. It's easy to screw up the fittings with regular wrenches because they don't wrap around the fitting like flare nut wrenches do.

To answer the question, the top line on the transmission is the return line.