1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Cooler

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LADDER286, Feb 21, 2003.

1. LADDER286

LADDER286 Junior Member

AFTER BURNING UP THE TRANNY ON MY 92 CHEROKEE 4.0 IN 20" OF SNOW IM DEBATING SPENDING THE MONEY FOR A TRANNY COOLER? THE TRANNY DIED (I THINK DUE TO AGE AND 36 HOURS OF HARD CORE ABUSE) IS $150 INSTALLED WORTH IT?

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

It depends on the size and make of the tranny cooler. I have one in a race car of mine that is $150 by itself. Average cost is about $60, I believe. Try putting it in yourself. They are not that hard to install. Takes about 1 hour.

Rick

3. LADDER286

LADDER286 Junior Member

I THOUGHT ABOUT THAT, BUT DO I HAVE TO PLUG UP THE RADIATOR? DOES THE TRANNY COOLER GO IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR? DOES THIS CHANGE THE RADIATOR'S PERFORMANCE?

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Is there something wrong with your keyboard, you seem to be unable to use the lower case letters?

5. LADDER286

LADDER286 Junior Member

Everyone has their vices,some smoke some drink, some abuse women, I TEND TO TALK LOUDER THAN EVERYONE ELSE ,sorry if that hurts your eyes I'll try to hit the button and make the yellow light stay off :drinkup:

6. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

Just my $.02.............
    Install the largest cooler that will fit behind the grill/in front of the radiator in seris with the radiator cooler so that once the radiator has cooled the trans. oil, it next goes thru aux. cooler then back to the tranny. If possible, mount the aux. cooler so you have at least 1inch of clearance between the aux. cooler & the radiator, but if you can't, no big deal.......
    IMO.......anybody that plows with an auto trans. should have an aux. cooler. I would expect any manufactorer who builds trucks that offer "Plow Prep Pkg." would include an aux. cooler as part of the package....

7. LADDER286

LADDER286 Junior Member

thanks pork. there is definatly no roon for 1" well maybe it will be tight but ill try that i dont want to spend all my profits on a new tranny thanks for all the help this site rocks ill try and post some pics of the ol timer cherokee thanks guys

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

definitly install a cooler wouldnt be a bad idea to have the cooler in the radiator flushed if you grenaded the trans

cardoctor

cool running mon:waving: