1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission cooler line removal problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by shep28, Sep 16, 2012.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

I am in the process of replacing all my brake lines and trans aux cooler and cooler lines. The two trans lines from the radiator to passenger side of trans have virtually no space to get your hand between the truck floorboard and trans to unhook the trans line fittings.

I was thinking about possibly dropping the trans a bit to gain access to the line fittings :realmad:

or

Extreme :gunsfiring:- cutting a small section of floorboard out to gain access and then welding it back in when I am finished.

I am open to suggestions

2006 silverado vortec max crew cab

2. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

When I changed mine I broke the line off of the fitting and used a ratchet. My lines were just though.. Just a thought.. Has to be an easier way.

3. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

My lines were junk is what I meant to say sorry..

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Take off the heat shield on the trans that should give u more room

5. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

If it's the 2006 Chevy you are working on there are wire clips that hold it into the fitting on the trans so the rachet and socket will not work, it is a PIA but you shouldn't have to drop the tranny, like already suggested remove the heat shield and use a mirror to see whats going on up there, also be careful not to lose the wire clips if you don't have replacement ones.

6. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I would get some replacement wire clips. Those things have a way of disappearing, and once you drop them you wont find them again. Well at least not until after the truck is already back together. I was able to get them off without removing anything, just took some time and patience.