1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Causing Headaches!?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 98GMCsl, Jan 31, 2002.

1. 98GMCsl

98GMCsl Junior Member

Ok, I'll go from the start, purchased truck in Sept of 2000 with 22,000km. Truck now has close to 60,000km and was running perfectly fine up until about the 45,000km mark. I am not sure of the tranny in it, but its the 305 engine, 2wd 1500. The dealer has replaced the tranny with a new one (or so they said) but the symptoms haven't changed a bit. Its my fathers truck and I am thinking of taking it to my school to run some tests on it with the scan tools and the new Mitchelle Repair DVD.
    Now I will explain the problems we have enountered with the truck. When we first bought it we loved the truck and there were no major problems, we did the regular dealer maintenance and everything as schedualed. Then at about 45,000km my father noticed that the truck had a bit of a jake brake type effect when he would let off the gas to coast the truck, it was like it was loosing speed dramatically. After putting up with it for about 5,000km he took it to the dealer that said that we needed a new trans put in. They took it in and put new transmission in late in October of 2001. The trucks symptom never changed a bit. Gas milage hurts too! I assume that is because you have to use the gas more often because tranny is not letting go when letting off fuel. If anyone has any idea or knows what is causing this? maybe computer problem ect. please let me know. I appreciate any feedback, as this is becoming a very annoying issue. And if we don't get it solved theres going to be a brand spanking new 2002 Dodge Ram pickup in the family! Thanks, -Dan

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

No!!! Not a dodge!! :D OK, first of all, did you pay for the new tranny, or was it warranty. Any other symptoms? Shifting hard, slipping, shimmying when you start moving, stuff like that? Give us a little more, if it's there. I've had a couple tranny failures, and nothing like that ever happened......

Marcus

3. 98GMCsl

98GMCsl Junior Member

We made sure that it was warranty, but I don't think that they actually put a new tranny in. Maybe changed the fluid and gave it a good bath, but thats about it. If they did, there has been no change to what the problem is. Its an automatic and it shifts fine, not hard, no slipping, and no shimmying. I am wondering if there is some sensor that is not getting the message to unlock the transmission gears, could this be a computer problem? The dealer doesn't seem to know much, and are getting a little stingy. The only thing I can think of that could be causing the problems is a sensor thats not relaying the message to the tranny, or the tranny isn't doing what it's being told to do from the computer? Does this sound right? It's confusing with all these systems being run by the computer. I will be checking into some diagrams for the system on tuesday or wednesday when I go back to school, but what ever information you guys can give me now would sure be nice. Thanks again, -Dan

4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Sounds like you got the cheap version, no-frills grade-breaking option :D. I would imagine it is an electronics as you stated. You have the 4L60-e which is totally controled by the computer I think. Torque converter could be staying locked up. This combined with the tranny keeping high pressure on the clutch pack, or bands, depending on which gear your in would give you the braking effect you're talking about. Speaking totally theoretically, since I have never worked on one of these systems, I would think this could be a problem caused by a throttle position sensor detecting an open throttle, but you'd think that would also cause it to shift hard and hang in gears for too long without upshifting...... If the warranty is a GM one, and not dealer specific, I'd take it somewhere else....

Marcus

5. 98GMCsl

98GMCsl Junior Member

The warranty is one from GM, actually its just passed out of the 3 years, but the problem was there and never did get fixed. So we will be pressuring that GM pay for any work done to it until it is either fixed or sold. The truck runs great other than that, and we have only had a oxygen sensor post a code once, which was simply reset by the dealer and the explanation was: "sometimes if a bit of moisture gets in contact with one, it will post a code, no big problem, the truck has 6 oxygen sensors" or atleast something to that nature. I think we will try with a dealer just down the road in the next town and see what they say. Thanks for your time and help. -Dan