1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmission 2-3 flare?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kurto_15, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Kurto_15

Kurto_15 Junior Member

I have a 2003 Silverado and the transmission has a flare of a few hundred rpms from 2nd to 3rd, but when in tow haul it shift perfect and firm. At first I figured burn clutch plates so I dropped the pan and there was no sign of debris in it and the fluid was bright red and not burnt. Any suggestions?
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Well, If you dropped the pan, I can assume you changed the filter. Did that make any difference? You may have some weak solenoids in there. I think I would find someone who can tune your computer. I have been told by my trans guy, that 03 and up there's not much that can be done mechanically to those trans, its all computer mods. Putting the tow haul switch on basically delays shifting and increases line pressure (i believe), therefor causing a harsher shift. If the computer noticed too much "slip speed" the computer would throw the engine light on. If there's no code for that, I'm not sure I would worry about it at this time.
    It seems that that the newer trans missions are built for comfort, meaning a soft shift (or flare) to keep from a banging feel.
  3. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Install a corvette servo, and your problem will be solved!