1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transmissioin Temp. when Plowing and more ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Frozen001, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Just curious what you guys see for transmission temperatures when you are plowing. Plowed with my 2500HD (reg. cab 6.0l gasser, W/plow prep) yesterday for the first time. Had like 3+ inches, and temperature varied from 140-180.... residential work only, highest temps occurred between sites. Is this typical???.. Also I noticed that the fan really roars when that clutch locks up....

Also I notice some odd noise the sounded like something running through a pipe intermittently... I think it was the AC cycling w/ the defroster. Any one else notice this??

How about transfer case noise??? Mine has some noise when I let off the gas.

First time plowing with a GM product, always used fords. Let me tell you I am really impress with the over all combination of truck/plow. The wester scraped very good, even while back-dragging.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Anything of 200 and below is super and you do not want to exceed 220 or so for more than a few minutes under load if long tranny life is your goal.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Ya know the tranny has to keep cool, I was just wondering what others were seeing.....

4. Tarkus

Funny, I have never gauged my own (though I know their temp limits) but I alway have run aux coolers too and I have never lost a automatic tranny in over 20 years now "knock on wood".

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Mine runs around 180-200. I always leave the truck running when I get out to let things cool down a bit.

6. Tarkus

Not me, I do not let it run if I will be out of truck for more than a few minutes. Mine never gets warm anyway.

7. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

My Allison runs about 160 to 180 and I think this is a normal temp, since it is at 180 while towing a fifth wheel in the summer.