1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transmision noises

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Ok very hard to explain, i know quite a lot about cars but hate transes. And im about 99% sure this noise is coming from the trans, sounds like the very front. The noise responds to engine rpm. The noise is very erratic and doesn't happen with any kind of normal circumstances. Cold, hot, load or no load, doesn't matter. It was rebuilt in feb. and is still under warranty. The noise is so sporadic tho it could take 10 trips to my buddies shop for him to here it.. And no i haven't talked to him about it yet cause until tonight it didn't really bother me, but as i was leaving chili's tonight it sounded like it was about to grenade itself. Now its worrying me.

The noise sounds like a few diff things, hard to explain as usual. like an engine belt that's coming apart and beating against things. or like a really bad heat shield rattle. or like a dozen pieces of gravel in a tin can in a paint shaker. tonight you could add an engine knock like sound to it too. I just kept driving it like the other times i have heard this noise(not as bad as tonight), and as usual after a few miles its gone...

Runs great, shifts like normal, no vibrations or anything else noticeable.... Any ideas, my buddies shop is an hour drive. I just want to be armed with some info in case, cause it will probably purr like a kitten when i bring it to him, and with snow in the forecast every couple of days i cant afford to leave it with him, but then again it could just blow up and i would be out the truck anyways...Oh and my trans guy is good too, not some half ass mechanic. So if any one has any ideas it would really help when i bring it to him to look at...Maybe someone has been through or heard this....

2. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

What truck year model and auto/man???

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to take a guess. I want to see if I'm right
    1996, dodge 2500. v10/auto. I want to guess on miles also. 210k give or take 1k.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Perhaps one of the tourque converter bolts are backing out or the ring gear is comming apart. Have seen a cracked ring gear make some crazzy sounds!!!

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Off by one year mark, I write up this kick but explanation and forget to tell you guys what the truck is......DUH..

95 dodge 2500, V10, automatic. Has the same trans as the diesels, just a diff torque converter i believe...

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

I thought about the ring gear, but there is absolutely no noise or problems when starting it....

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Sometimes there isn't. It can happen when the engine hits a sweet spot or frequncy to make things move. Might have a hairline crack around the crank shaft area. Bring it back soon, more than likely it is a small thing. look for clues (fresh filings).

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, I failed.

Was I atleast close on the milage guess 209-211k?

9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Nope, 204ish

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Ok, the plan is to try and get up there tomorrow, but i have to install counter tops and a sink on my kitchen remodel im working on. Which should have been done a month ago but the counter tops came out wrong.and i delivered then to the house today. So i really cant make them wait...It screws me too tho....so many choices...lol

11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

nope 203 something, I actually didnt drive the truck very much all summer..

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, I forgot you had the free candy van.

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Have you crawled under to look for any leaks, color of fluid, loose hoses, something actually getting whacked by the fan. What about drive shaft bolts...... The description doesn't seem spot on trans at the moment.

I've had plenty of dodge trans go out and not a one of them went with noise. Quite fast leakers until they went dry.

14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

No leaks, nothing loose, trans fluid looks great to me. Haven't looked at drive shaft bolts, but when this noise happens it will continue to do it even in park...Which would mean it would have to be the front part of the trans.

It was a little scary, but i was under neath it last night when it was making its noise. had my head right under the engine/trans mating point, and it sounded like it was in the trans

15. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I would look at the flex plate and converter bolts

16. scottL

It probably is a tooth off the fly wheel or a bolt loose. You have to get in there before it fully jams. Doesn't sound like real damage yet.

17. Midwest BuildIt Inc

well i made to my buddies shop today, Turns out that one of the bolts that hold the rear main seal on came loose and was hitting the flexplate. So it would work its way out and make noise then rattle itself back in and stop making noise. There was just enough room to cut it in half and work the pieces out, so thats all we did. I will have to keep my eye out for any oil leaking since its short one bolt now.. The only way to fix it right is to pull the trans out again. So i will just leave it for now and keep an eye on it. The best part is it only cost me a 24 case of miller light for 1.5 hours of shop time, its friday, my buddy (the shop owner) wasn't there, and the guys in the shop didnt feel like writing up a work order.. ..lol:redbounce

Oh forgot to mention, when i went out to get that case of beer for them i got rear ended by an f150...I love trailer hitches sticking out the back. really messes up the vehicle that hits you, and leaves you without a scratch...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  18. scottL

That's very cool - simple problem. Although pulling the trans to replace a freak'en gasket is such a pi--er.