1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transformation to the gmc!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowcrazy, Mar 24, 2015.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hey all figured id post a pic of what I had done this past week. love it so far. my last truck was a flatbed and it was soooooooo much nicer to work off of than out of a bed ESPECIALLY these new trucks that sit so high. I had a really hard time getting into the reg bed and there was no way I could reach in the bed from over the bedside to reach anything. im short though. bed is a moritz, added a few buyers boxes. I don't particularly like single rear trucks with flatbeds. I think drw trucks look much better but I bought this truck to be a good work truck. to boot I think for srw it looks pretty nice.

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Wow really nice. I'm waiting for my aluma flatbed to arrive for my f250. I couldn't agree more working out of a pickup bed really sucks.
  3. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Very cool. I am also waiting for my flat bed with tool boxes on a single rear wheel to come in. I agree not the coolest looking things in the world but very user friendly.
  4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's awesome! What's a bed like that cost?
  5. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

The bed its self was 2950 installed. Those boxes were 700 bucks though. So with tax just under 4k bucks. Moritz flatbeds are much cheaper than other alum flatbeds for some reason.... Had I gone with a Hillsboro or eby bed I would have been closer to 6k bucks.... Eby has the best looking beds in my opinion but damn there proud of them when they price them.
  6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's it? 3 grand? Wow
  7. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Yep 3k bucks and that was even with the gooseneck plate installed. I figured why the hell buy a steel bed for it when you can get a Moritz aluminum for not much more and never have to worry about paint or rust...... This thing has some kick ass led lighting also in the headache rack and rear of bed......... Backup lights freaking ROCK. I have a backup buddy and these lights are at least that bright I'd say brighter honestly.
  8. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Nice bed at a great price! Good upgrade!!
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I went with steel because it easier to repair and maintain. CM RD model. 26k gooseneck and 14.5k bumper hitch. Around here aluminum would corrode quickly with all the salt DOT loves to put down.

10. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Looks great with the new flat bed!
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Aluminum can be kept nice if you want it to be nice even in salty environments. Here in northern, il salt usage is high as well. If you look in the sticky thread of trucks at the top of this section I have pictures of my 550 in the last page or two and it used to carry a 4yd spreader before I bought the truck.

The GMC with the moritz bed looks good! Gives me ideas for my srw pickup. I wonder if I get a discount for my family sharing the same name as their company.
  12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Had an aluminum sled trailer that did not fair well. Also I am much better at welding steel compared to aluminum. So for me steel was the way to go. CM does makes this exact bed in aluminum.
  13. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Looks very good. What are you doing with the OE bed?
  14. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Looks great! I'm aiming to get a flatbed on my shortbed truck to try get a little more usefulness out of it. Probably will go with a CM.
  15. Tyler259

Tyler259 Junior Member

What were the dimensions? I noticed they have a few options for width and length?

Thanks, looks awesome.
  16. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Looks great. I'm thinking about flatbeds for some of our trucks. It makes so much more sense for a work truck.
  17. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I have a large junk yard in my area that will buy things like beds..... They took bed off and handed me 1k bucks...... I was good with that.
  18. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

Truck looks great! How do you like the dxt? Is it 9.2?
  19. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Plow is freaking rediculous!! We had a few deep snows for our area this winter and ppl couldn't get out of there driveways. Nobody with straight plows could do much with the drives because they simply couldn't get started into the drives....after using it for driveways, I'll never own anything else but a v plow.. Its a beast... My other truck has a 8.5 ft snow dogg with wings.... They prolly carry approx the same amount of snow honestly but the v plow is just so much nice...... The 9.2 dxt isn't even visible when transporting down the road besides a few inches of the top of the v...... What can I say.. I love it...... I'll never own another straight blade I'll tell ya that....

I'll end with this about the v plow...... I am the only one around here with one..... We had two separate storms this year that were deeper than average 9-10"...... Road crew plowed the roads and pushed high banks into driveways.... I am the only person in my local phone book under snow removal.... My phone started going crazy for residential drives.... I am covered up with my commercials and by this time been in truck for about 30 hours..... I called in a helper to just answer my phone. I couldn't keep up with the calls..... Then all the other local snow contractors started calling.... They had all compiled a list of drives but couldn't do them with straight blade.... Lot of them were getting stuck just trying to get through the initial hard pack that the road crews had plowed into the beginning of drives.... So I In a matter of hours had about 70 ppl wanting there drives done... I told them all I needed to go home and get some rest first..... I told every one of these folks no matter the size of drive it was going to be 100 bucks... To my surprise hardly anyone turned it down besides one person. Needless to say that's when I realized the v plow was the *****!!!! It effortlessly cut through the beginning hard pack and eased up the drives like butter..... Let's put it this way I had two storms like that and the plow paid for its self in just one of those storms just in driveways..... Don't get me wrong it took me three days to get to them all I had no idea who these folks were and where they lived. Keep in mind I had to use GPS on all those drives..... They all have my card now. I have a feeling there will be some more v plows on around here after some of them saw the v plow in action.... Those guys were chomping at the bit and couldn't even go make money on drives. I loved it! Lol. Sorry I prolly should have put this in a review somewhere else but there you have it. Its bad ass!
  20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder what they did in Ohio before the advent of v plows :rolleyes::rolleyes: