1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transferring Western UltraMT plow to new Dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GDH, Oct 4, 2003.

1. GDH

GDH Junior Member

I have a 7 1/2' Western Std. plow(UltraMT) that I am using on a Ford F150 Off Road. I use this for my own driveway and a couple of friends only. This summer I purchased a Dodge 2500HD w/Cummings HO. While having my plow serviced (hydraulic fluid changed etc) recently I asked the dealer what it would cost to transfer this plow over to the Dodge. He said $1k. I also asked if it would be possible to use the plow on both the Ford and the Dodge and he said he didn't think so as he believed there would be a problem w/the lighting harnesses not being the same. What do you guys think?

2. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

what year is the new truck, is the ford using relays or the eforce?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd trade it in and get a bigger plow.A 7.5 ft on a 2500 Cummins Dodge is a waste.

5. GDH

GDH Junior Member

Gentleman........thanks for the responses. Cleancut Lawns...I checked out the website you suggested. It looks like it would be $644 w/o the controls (I'd use the cabcommand I already have). I still am not sure if I could swap the plow from truck to truck but I'll call them and see what they say. Wyldman....I am just using this plow for my own driveway and occasionally a friends so I don't really need a bigger plow. I needed the truck for my business where I am pulling a variety of trailers including a 22' enclosed one. If I was plowing like you guys I would go bigger for sure.

6. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

GDH;

there should be no problem using the plows between the two trucks as Far as wiring goes

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your just using it for your driveway,then I guess it's OK. :D

8. Terrasnow

Terrasnow Junior Member
    from NY

Oh yes... your reality has already hit me between the eyes. I bought a new Ultramount last year for my '91 Chevy and am told it will cost me $1200 to move it to an '03-04 Chevy. The manufacturers are changing the number of pins in the wiring harness so new harnesses and new LIGHTS are required. Cha-ching. Really hurts when I only did a couple dozen plows so far.

As far as you question goes on using the plow between 2 different trucks... I think the answer is: maybe. The Ultramounts are more truck specific than the Unimounts were. The Ultramount plow can be built in one of four settings. I believe that settings one and two are close, and three and four are close, but going from two to three means flipping a part over during the assembly of the plow unit. It is basically to match the height of the plow's "tongues" with the truck's receivers. If you were going to use the plow between a Chevy and a Ford, I would say that the height difference would be too great. Between a Ford and a Dodge, you might have the same setting or close enough.

Basically, the "tongues" must line up with the receivers or you won't be able to drive the truck into the plow and rotate those 2 big claws around the pins on your mount.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want to save some $$$,just buy the truckside mount,and hook the plowlights up to a simple switch.Will save you from buying the new harness.

10. GDH

GDH Junior Member

Terra Snow - I parked the two trucks next to one another. They are different heights so I wondered how compatible the plow would be even if I got the truck side parts I needed. Your explanation of how the plow itself is built up makes me think I'd have a problem. For now I think I am going to continue to use the Ford since I too have only used this Plow for one season and hate to invest so much in transferring it over when I don't have to. The Ford worked very well last year I just thought it would be nice to get some extra work out of the Dodge. Thanks for the good info though.