1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfering plow...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Frozen001, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

So I am getting a 2008 F250SD, and will be swapping the plow. So far my dealer has quoted me the following:

New Mount: $447.97
    Headlight Kit: $199
    Some other Kit that I forgot the name of right now: $99

My big question right now is what is in the headlight kit?? And do I need it... if it is just a bunch of adaptors so I son't have to spice the wires I would rather not spend the money on it...

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How about some p/n's to figure out what they want to sell you specifically? Does your plow have the old style sealed beam lights? 4 port Iso module? 3 plug system?

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My current set up on my GMC has Isolation Module 27780 (which is a 4 plug system), the old style sealed lights, and 3 plugs that go to the plow itself

The mounting kit the dealer states I need is 31269, which matches up with westerns literature.

The part that I am unsure of is the electrical. Westen's website does not have any details that say what is needed on the 2008 specifically

I was told that the 4 plug isolation modue will not work, so I would need a new one... (from an out of town dealer, I tried my local one again, but they were closed when I called back)

I can dig through my plow instrustions to see what I currently have, but it is looking like I may beed most of the electrical stuff too.... :dizzy:

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 08 is a whole new animal. get the adapters, you will play he!! with your warranty.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Looks like I am going to have to make a call to Western Tomorrow to find out exactly what I will need to do this... This just sounds like a lot of extra $$$.... Hopefully I can some back by selling off my older stuff...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely. You will need the newer 3 port module for the '08 without question...which is why you'll also need the necessary adapters. The '07-up GM's are the same way. The electronics continue to get more and more complex on these trucks every year, and have for some time so they do not tolerate
    "add on" accessories too well unless done properly.

No more hacked/spliced wiring jobs for the financially challenged guys. :nono:

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Man most of that box is just for Lights.... :dizzy:

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which are needed with the 3 port module.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why i love that Snoway EIS system:nod:

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't speak specifically on the SW stuff but it is also the reason I dislike the DD stuff...nothing interchanges with anything, multiple harness, multiple Iso mods, adapters to adapt to an adapter.... it all just makes transfers an expensive pain in the butt for the customer as well as the guy doing the job. It's no wonder many dealers don't stock it all...just too much inventory to cover it all. :dizzy:

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think it's all the shared grounds. 12Volt is so ground spike susceptible. DD just opens themselves up to the complications by tying all the grounds together. Although the lights out indicators, computer controller light systems, etc... in the vehicles are requiring more an more diodes, etc.. to be compatible and not get fast flash, inappropriate dash warnings, light switch overload or worse.

12. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have installed quite a few western snow plows on these new 08's. You need the head light wiring kit, and the kit to remount the plow lights on the frame of the plow so you can open the hood. These new fords are such a pain in the ass to mount up and wire its not even funny. But the new 08 gmc/chevys are just as bad.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your looking for a scape goat don't be so quick to blame the truck manufactures...blame the plow manufactures. Or at least some of them. ;)

Statistics show less than 1/10 of 1% of new light trucks are equipped with a snowplow (as a whole) so don't expect the truck OEM's to cater to the plow manufactures anytime soon. False hope if you do. :nod:

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek:The new Chevys, but ops I'm thinking of those POS Snoways:jester:

15. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

k, this is a good one.

if your truck has been programmed, it would have been done if you own a plow package or (I pretty sure) the trailer package. You DO NOT need to buy the newer 3 port soft light. All you need is the 4 port H13 light harness; P/N 28242 and 28244. The 3 port soft light is for 08 trucks that read the low voltage and have not been programmed/upgraded for the use of the plow. You can even use the DRL module you have. Obviously it has an extra relay to power the DRL, but it will not be used with your truck.

I know this is different from what everyone else had said here, honestly I thought they were all right. Not until Tuesday, I was educated.

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

OK Where did this information come from??? And is it documented??

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So DD has it wrong on their western fit sheets? http://www.westernplows.com/quickmatch/seldata.asp

According to quickmatch they require the 3 port module and plow prep as well.

What is the source of this info?

18. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Maybe he got the info from a guy in NY :D :jester:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

New info Noble?

Have to assume there's many a dealers that wouldn't know this new info.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So they program the computer so, to use an analog analogy, it has a HD flasher (552) instead of a regular duty (224)?