1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer tank question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Nov 26, 2009.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

•Built in Lifting Rings Heavy Duty Mounting Brackets

3. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

They should be vents.

4. xtreem3d

hey guys..no the vent is out the cap and the rings on top are for liftng empty...only thing i can figure out is for hazzard placcards (sp) will get a pic tomorrow (fri) this is bugging me for some reason,
    steve

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I do believe they are for the Placcards. I have a guy bolt a little bracket to them to coil the fuel line on.
    Robert

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Just FYI
    I had one of those tanks
    within 2 years (and no salt here)
    it was leaking.

Nothing like coming out to a bed full of diesel (and then trying to find a home for 100 gallons of diesel as fast as you can)

the welds were coming apart.

in 2 years (maybe 15,000 miles)

POS

It got tossed, no more delta boxes for me

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I've had a Delta "L" shaped tank in the back of my truck since '99. It's traveled in the back for over 200,000 miles. Still no leaks. I did however, buy a used one (exactly as you have pictured-not sure how old) that was leaking when I bought it. I had it repaired. The mounting tabs were flexing and this stressed and cracked the welds at the top of the mounting tabs. I'm here to tell you that it does not take much of a hole to allow diesel to pass through. The cracks were not even visible to the naked eye. The diesel would just seem to be oozing through the metal and paint. The tank is still in service today (about a year since repair). How long ago did you purchase yours Lcowboy? Your post makes me wonder if they have changed something that makes them not as good as they once were (as with many things, it seems these days).

8. xtreem3d

i just assumed that these tanks are coated on the inside to prevent rust in the fuel but it doesn't look like it to me..were yours?
    steve

9. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

If there is one it's a clear coat. Inside looks like metal to me. I have not had rust issues. I use diesel in mine. It's a pretty good rust inhibitor (it seems). I also use a filter and a meter with the transfer pump. I have yet to clog a filter, but I still think it's cheap insurance. You can aslo get a filter/water seperator if you feel it to be necessary. The meter helps me figure out when to refill (before I run out), monitor fuel consumption.

10. LoneCowboy

Purchased brand new Late October 2006
    leaking like a MFer march 2009
    Unable to find where it was (even pressurized)
    Tossed in the trash, July 2009

11. xtreem3d

guys...got tank mounted now i need a pump/filter /meter assembly but can't find a complete "setup"...they either have the filter or the meter but not both. any suggections on a package setup?
    TIA
    steve

12. LoneCowboy

You don't "need" either.

everything you put the fuel into has a filter (many more than one)

it's a 100 gallon tank

You'll find you run the truck out LONG before you empty the tank (even when working big jobs)
    I used to fill my truck at least once from the tank (I do NOT use dyed diesel) and I still almost never put more than 50/60 gallons in the tank. (one winter I let it get way down and it took like 90, but that was it)

Of course, you never really know how full or empty it is, but it's never been a problem for me.

If i had to choose one I'd put a filter on.

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why not? ............

14. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have same tank....worked well for last years....now it has some serious surface rust on interior and is contaminating my fuel. anyone know a solution or should I just junk tank and start over?

tank looks excellent and has been stored inside entire life....suprised at it rusting inside with fuel in it 90% of the time.

dave

ps. back from summer vacation....be here all winter:cool:

15. xtreem3d

i'm worried about the same thing..i know when i was into bikes..there was a coating that was used to seal the inside of the custom made tanks. I just assumed these would use something similar (from the factory :cry:)
    ps...any filter/meter/pump combo's?

16. xtreem3d

brian.....this is to fuel 5 skidsteers,..which will use quite a bit of fuel
    steve

17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm thinking so that he has the versatility to run it in both his vehicles or off-road use. We rarely run off-road fuel either, but always mark our reciepts when the taxed fuel is used for off-road use. You can get the credit back at tax time. That can also have a few extra "benefits". ;)

18. xtreem3d

just found this
    http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html

19. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

thanks for the coating issue....don't think it will work however.....first tank is already rusted so it would need to be cleaned and two with fuel in it doubt sealer would stick

Dave

20. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

woops my bad....:blush2:

looks like they do offer a cleaner etc....never seen that all the sealers I saw...yes Harley stuff...had to be used on new never filled tank

dave