1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer Tank - Gas AND Diesel???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GMCHD plower, Dec 18, 2013.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys looking for some opinions, during the summer I could use a transfer tank for Super, ~30gal a week, and during the winter I could use one for diesel fuel, but my question is could I use the same tank and "wash" it out between filling with gas and diesel? Or is it possible to get a tank that could use the same pump but me half gas and half diesel?

Also, my plan is to set it in the truck when needed, and strap it down, then when not needed just take it out, would there be issues with grounding?

Thanks guys!

2. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

It is illegal to carry gasoline in a transfer tank.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it is, big no no!

4. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Oh is it unlawful to carry fuel in a transfer tank? While following the regs (limits etc)

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Not true. We have a 109 gallon transferflow tank specifically for gas. We strap it into a pickup to go fetch gas once a week in the growing season for our mowers. I grounded it thru a plug in the bed and also to our pole barn.

http://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tanks/refueling-tanks

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not true. the tank has to be designed to carry gasoline, the biggest difference is the venting

I carry 200 gallons of fuel sometimes I use my back tank for gasoline. yes it's illegal to carry over a hundred nineteen gallons for most. In a large event, I'll throw a third in.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  7. 1olddogtwo

I have eight hundred gallon trans cube fuel tank that we use for hurricanes mounted on a trailer. it's primarily used for gasoline.

8. GMCHD plower

Now the question is, if I were to buy a tank designed for Gas (added venting?) could I put diesel in it? Could I "wash" it out between loads and use different fuels?

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, I do it. there will be such a small amount left it will not matter. Now I am not saying do this but, I have seen a gas tank that was painted blue and "water" put on it. Just to keep the state patrol away.

10. 1olddogtwo

diesel into gas isnt bad as gas to diesel.

the problem is you can never pump the tank completely dry, a gal of diesel mix with 99 of gas won't hurt thing. A gal of gas in diesel isn't good, especially if your truck and a DPF( 1st thing I remove). when I'm switching over, I pulled a tank cap and pump off, and let the gas evaporate. If I'm in a hurry, I put a few gals of diesel a pump the tank dry again and call it good.

switching from red to green is very similaras deluding gasoline

11. GMCHD plower

Anyone know a place where I could get a "split tank? Like 30gal, and 30gal? Then there's no mixing of fuel? Looking for something easily removable and easy to remove

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I would try northern tool, fleet farm, and tractor supply

13. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Ask matthew g on here he had a custom one made ive seen it in person its real sharp.

14. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Click my link. They have just what you are asking

15. GMCHD plower

Thanks for all the opinions and info guys, I actually decided I don't use enough diesel to warrant needing a separate tank for it, so I will be looking for a ~30gal tank for gas...

16. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  17. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Just drain out all the residue, and fill it with the other fuel.

I've done it before.