1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer case

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JimACM, Dec 6, 2011.

1. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

I have a 2004 2500 gas crew cab with the with the push button transfer case. Should you plow in 4 hi or auto four wheel drive ?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Never plow in the Auto position. Adds unnecessary wear on the clutch pack in the T-case.

3. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Thanks ! I have never plowed with this truck and was not sure

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I agree with B&B, using the automatic option will lead to premature death of your clutches. In this mode the front wheels will only engage when the ABS sensors sense a difference between speed of front and rear wheels. This happens so often when plowing that the clutch will be on and off all the time. Best to lock it into four wheel when plowing. Also note that the shift motors on these tfr cases are very expensive (about $800) and they wear out too from the constant shifting.