1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer Case

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Tchase, May 8, 2003.

1. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

I recently started building my 1978 GMC truck. After removing the 400 cid engine and 4 speed/NP205 combo, I purchased a 350 fuel injected motor and 4L80-e transmission to install. The problem I have now is that I need an input gear for the NP 208 case I bought that will mate to the output shaft of the 4L80-e (same as a TH400). The case I bought is mated to a 700R9 (4L60). Any help, used gear?????
    Thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Not sure where you are in Canada,but here is a good place to call.They specialize in parting out 4WD stuff,and have lots of trans\transfer case parts.Ask for Jim,great bunch of guys to deal with.They are in Kitchener,Ontario,Canada.They should have what you need.

JMW Automotive Inc
    1-800-263-4863

Anyone else who needs anything 4WD should keep this number handy.They have lots of used transmission and transfer cases,and everything is checked and tested before it goes out the door,unlike a lot of auto wreckers.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, I was going to send you over to Advance Adapters, but I took a look myself, and they do not sell any adapters you can use to swap in the 208. They do make adapters for you to use the NP 205 though. Which makes me wonder why you would want a 208 cast aluminum unit over a 205 cast iron unit? Then again, to use the 205, machining of the case is required, and a new input gear if the case has a 27 or 10 spline male input shaft. If your NP 205 has a 32 spline female input shaft, then they sell an adapter, no machining necessary.

You said the output shaft on the 4L80 is the same as the TH 400, but they sell an adapter for mating the 208 to a TH 400, but not to a 4L80? It is somewhat confusing.

Have a look yourself. Here is the chart:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/acrobat/gm.pdf

~Chuck

4. Tchase

Tchase Junior Member
    from Canada

They dont sell an adapter for the 4l80 to 208 because it came from the factory in that configuration in some trucks, so they say, if you want one, buy it from the dealer. My 205 has 10 spline (off a manual). There is the problem. I have the adapter, I just need an input gear for the 208. I'm in New Brunswick. I called JMW, and am waiting for them to get back to me.

I still have the 205 and 4speed if anyones interested.

5. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Advance Adapters lists dealer items as "Stock", meaning you don't need an adapter from them (Advanced). In your case, there is no part number listed, and it doesn't say "Stock". That would lead me to believe the adapter is not availalbe? That's just based on their chart. I got the sleeve from a dealer for my 205 to TH 350, and it was about $125.

Good luck,

~Chuck

6. tileman

tileman Member

hey chuck what was your 205 off of? ihave one off a 400 i want to put on a 350. i know it wont work with out the sleeve. saw a buddy try it it wasnt pretty but was funny. and is this the same part # 6273963? thanks.

7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Tileman, 1980 is the only year that all models used the NP 205 straight from the factory with all transmissions. So mine was "from" a TH 350. I don't recall the part number. I don't have it written down anywhere, though many times I wish I did. When we called for the part we just had to give the dealer the spline count.

~Chuck

8. tileman

tileman Member

chuck i got this part number from an article in petersons 4wheel and off road. they said thats what it was for. but my question is this. i have a 205 off a 400 and a 350 built to plow snow is it compatable? i know the 400 has a 32 spline count. do i need the spline count for the 350 also. or do i just need to find a "350 205" ? thanks chuck for all the help and furthering my knowledge of the good trucks.:)