1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transfer case switch Wrangler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by DPDDOG, Feb 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DPDDOG

DPDDOG Junior Member

Have a 95 Wrangler, 4cylinder, 5 spd. Have been told by my repair guy the Jeep wants $240.. for the switch which shows when you have 4 wheel drive engaged. That does not sound right as I have found them for $20 on the web.
    Can anyone tell me where the switch is located?
    Anybody have knowledge of a $240. switch???
    Thanks,
    Marty

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think its a vacuum switch located on top of the transfer case, this switch engages the axle disconnect. it I paid ~$20 at the dealer. The switch to show 4WD is engaged is on the axle disconnect.

3. DPDDOG

DPDDOG Junior Member

Hey Plowmeister,

Not the vacuum switch, that has been replaced and works ok..It is the electrical switch...light stays on all the time no matter what position I have it in. Now an even dumber question..where's the "axle Disconnect"
    Marty

4. theplowmeister

from MA

Its on the right of the front axle the disconnect has 2 vacuum lines and an electrical switch. for $230 they me talking about replacing the vacuum diaphragm.

5. DPDDOG

DPDDOG Junior Member

Excellent....Thank You...Vacuum part came with the Jeep and it was new...so Now I know where to look. Haven't worked on vehicles in a very long time...looks like I may have a "new hobby" once I retire.
    Marty

6. danskool

danskool Junior Member

7. DPDDOG

DPDDOG Junior Member

Thanks for the info...the repair guy had that switch and said it was not the right one...so I have bought a Chilton...looks like it may be on the front axle by the vacuum motor. The guys over at J&W wreckers have been helpful also. Will report back next week!

Marty

8. theplowmeister

from MA

9. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

your switch is likely just fine...it's fed by vacuum, which turns on the electric. fix your vacuum lines and the switch will work.

10. DPDDOG

DPDDOG Junior Member

I can get it in and out of 4 wheel drive..so the vac lines are ok..vacuum motor has been replace..last thing left is the indicator switch which stays lighted all the time...but like they say..if you can turn a tight corner on dry pavement with no problem...your not in 4WD!

Thanks!

11. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have an 05 wrangler. For those that wanted to use their starter motor to move their jeep a few inches over an obstacle without wheel spinning could remove a fuse. This would allow the starter to work without having to press the clutch pedal.

I tried it just because I thought it would be nice to not have to always press down on the clutch when starting. The thing is once you pulled that fuse the 4wd light would come on all the time whether in 2w or 4w.

Seeing that light on in 2w was annoying enough that I put that fuse back in.

Point of the story see if their such a fuse on your jeep and if it is blown.

12. DPDDOG

DPDDOG Junior Member

Sweet! Good tip...my cig lighter stopped working so that could be an issue!
    M

13. theplowmeister

from MA

no such fuse on th YJs

14. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I don't know much about YJ's. Though I do know that car makers quite often place multiple circuits on one fuse. I would check to see if the cigar lighter fuse is bad.

15. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

bull ****.

wrangler YJ's are the last jeep to have a central-axle-disconnect solid front axle.

in 1991, jeep switched to a non-disconnect dana 30 on comanches and cherokees...eliminating all of that vacuum wiring.

without the disconnect, your front driveshaft spins when the vehicle is in motion. yet you can still turn tight corners with no issue in 2wd, because the front driveshaft is spinning seperately of the rear driveshaft...i.e. 4wd disengaged, shift collar in transfercase is in the 2wd position, therefor the chain which drives the front driveshaft is disconnected.

the binding while turning occurs when the front axle shafts are connected side to side via spider gears in the differential, and the axle is being powered by the transfercase.

so.

my question is...who did the vacuum switch repair on this thing? I'd be willing to bet that they didn't bother, or did, and realized your vacuum lines (like most of the CAD lines) are cracked, so they just applied vacuum directly through the lines to your axle disconnect. that is the only thing I can think of that would cause your issue.

my reasoning on that is that the 4wd vacuum indicator switch can only fail in the open position...i.e. the switch closes when vacum is applied, and completing the ground side of the 4x4 indicator light circuit.

basically, you've got vacuum applied to that switch at all times.