1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transfer case shifting, but no front drive?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ontario026, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

as the title says, my transfer case is shifting, but the front tires won't put power to the ground... rear tires just spin, but front don't drive.. 4hi seems just like 2hi, but in 4lo I get the gear reduction, but no front axle pulling...

Caused a lot of tire smoke today pulling out big boats with no front axle engagement....

any idea what's wrong??

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Actuator on front axle not engaging.
  3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Vacuum lines on actuator
  4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not on a gm trk
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Muffler bearing need grease.

Perhaps if they used vac lines from the factory it would give reason to replace them. I don't know, I'm a ford guy with vac hubs.
  7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I guess I should have said " actuator and possibly vacuum lines " my bad
  8. 99LsSilverado

99LsSilverado Junior Member

More then likely the encoder ring in the transfer case motor has gone bad and needs replacement. The best thing is to replace the whole motor instead of just the ring.
  9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

To the OP, I'm assuming you have gotten underneath the truck to verify that the t case is actually engaging (front driveshaft will be locked to the rear wheels, front wheels rotate freely) I am assuming you have, since you told us that the t-case is engaging fine.

If this is true, then it is not the encoder motor as has been suggested.

There is also an actuator in the front axle that locks the wheels. This is electronically controlled, it is not controlled via vacuum lines. There are posts on how to test it using a socket installed behind the actuator, if you do a search. Also verify you have voltage to that actuator when 4wd is engaged.