1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer case shift handle came off tonight

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by jeep2001, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

I went out tonight to do some snow plowing and when I went to put my 1995 wrangler in 4 wheel drive the transfer case shift handle came detach from the transfer case. Of course it was in neutral when this happened. I am too old to be laying in 4'' of snow to shift this by hand. .Is there a better way than just the retaining clip to hold this together? The retaining clip did break, is this a common problem? Any help will be great.

Thanks
    MIke

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Never had that happen been driving jeeps since 1988.

Nope crawl under and pull the lever on the transfercase.

First plow a clear spot to lay down :)

3. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

My experience is with the Dana 300 in the older CJs, they have a clip that secures a nut.......the clip came off in deep snow,,,,nut backed out....handle slid out... luckily i was already in 4wd so unlocked the hubs when i hit clear pavement. I have since replaced the clip with a cotter pin....no mo' problems. Hope this helps

4. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

That would of been a good ideal to plow a spot for me to get under the jeep but when the handle came off it somehow put the transfer case in neutal and the jeep would not move. I order a new retainer clip but I am thinking about drilling a hole and putting a nut and bolt through it. I have a meyer plow on this 1995 wrangler, can I installed this plow on a 1997 on newer wrangler without too much work?
    Thanks
    Mike

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

My bad you did say it was in neutral

No the two jeep frames are completely different

6. jeep2001

jeep2001 Member
    from il.

If I replace my 1995 jeep to a 1997 or newer will any of my old plow system work on the newer jeep wrangler?
    Thanks
    Mike