1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer case rear seal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MarkEagleUSA, Jan 16, 2011.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Coming home last night I came upon what I thought was a patch of ice. Turned out to be a rather large piece of clear plastic like stretch wrap. Needless to say, the stuff got sucked up underneath and proceeded to wrap itself around the rear driveshaft right at the front U-joint yoke. The rubber at the end of the t-case took the brunt of the damage and I lost a good deal of it removing the plastic.

Is that just a dustcover where the yoke slides into the t-case or is it actually a seal that I need to worry about replacing? There were no leaks under the truck this morning so I took that as a good sign.
  2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

that rubber is the dust boot that is attached to the metal/rubber seal of the transfer case. it is just pressure fit (tapped in with a seal driver/ hammer-for the shadetree folk) Losing the dust boot is not the end of the world, but does open it up for dirt to get in at the actual seal. If I remember right that seal is like $25 to $30 at the parts store and takes about 15 minutes to replace (have to pull the rear drive shaft off). I'd replace it when you can.