1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transfer case problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 04HDBoss, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 04HDBoss

04HDBoss Junior Member

I have a 2004 chevy 2500HD push button 4x4 When I engage the four wheel drive if moving at all it has a loud clunk.. So i've taken it to the dealer and they said that there is a problem with my transfer case.. If I try to shift into high while going down the road it sounds horrible but if I shift it before moving there is no problem at all.. I don't know if I trust the dealer or not.. It's had this problem since it was new so I don't know if it's a serious problem or not.. I don't plow alot only my drive and a couple others.. So far I am not happy with my new chevy purchase with on 62,000 miles on.. anyone got any thoughts.. thanks
  2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Mine ALWAYS made a loud clunk while moving and shifting into 4-wheel high, I never worried about it because the 4x4 always worked. One thing I did do was drain and change the fluid. Filled it with Synthetic tranny fluid and even did what some people were doing by removing the sensor on the top and adding an additional quart. The case never made another peep. Hope this helps...
  3. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Sounds like you need a new transfer case. Even though it shows you are in 4 wheel drive when stopped, you are not. GM transfer cases are junk (we have replaced them in both of our 2500HD's. We found a company that rebuilds t-cases and provides a better warranty than GM and uses heavier duty components. Expect to pay around $ 1600 - $ 2000 if you have a reputable shop do the install.
  4. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

My transfer case did the same thing for about a month. Get your ujoints and driveshafts checked. I put it off and next thing I knew I was replacing my transfer case, all ujoints, and front drive shaft after it broke on my trying to plow out an entrance to a parking lot because the city plowed it in. Since the ujoints and drive shaft were bad it caused the damage t otransfer case which inturn caused alot more damage
  5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Nice user name :rolleyes: :cool:
  6. fyerfytr

fyerfytr Junior Member
    from Iowa

On my rebuilt Transfer case I put in my 2500 a couple months ago the rebuilding company recommended 5-30 synthetic motor oil, makes sense since it is a gear box.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nice tires,you ever get this problem fixed?
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can we expect all your posts to begin this way now? LOL

Must be raining over there too if you're so bored you're pulling up threads almost a year old.....