1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer case problem?????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jim Prill, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

I have a 1983 GMC 3/4 ton pickup w/a np 208 t-case. The problem I am having is the transfer case wont shift into 2wd. I can shift it into 4hi and 4low and neutral just fine. but if I try 2hi it sounds like it wants to engage but wont or will and pop right back out if I try to drive the truck. I have had it on a lift and tried to manually shift it without the lever in the cab attached and it still wont go into 2hi I can hear it click on the detent in the case. Any help would be appreciated. :( :( :(

2. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

It could be that a tooth is broke off one of the gears for the 2WD. That or a set of dogs are badly worn and they are not staying engaged.

3. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Because you can hear the detent click when you shifted it on the lift, it sounds as if the shift rail is ok. Possibly a bent shift fork. Sounds like you'll be opening it up, unfortunately.