1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer Case Problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wesley's Lawn, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Hi guys, for starters i have a 86 GMC K3500 with the 350 and TH 400. I have gone threw the driveline replacing seals for this winter and when i got to the transfer case i went to the dealer to get the seals. Well they gave me seals for a 208. Which werent the right ones so i brought them back and got the ones for the 205 which looks like the ones thats in there and the 205s were in the one tons. Well the seals for the 205 arent the right ones either. Also i changed fluid in the case and the book said it took 5 quarts. Well i could only fit two and a hlaf or three quarts in. So what im getting at is there another transfer case out there that was put into these or is the dealer just stupid and giving me the wrong seals? Thanks for your help.:confused:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It should be a 205 if it's a true one ton truck.Is the case cast iron or aluminum ? If it's aluminum,then it's a 208,if it's cast,it should ce a 205.It could also be a 203 if someone has swapped it for some reason.

Or maybe the dealer just gave you the wrong seals. :(

3. Wesley's Lawn

Yea its a true one ton, the case is cast iron. It may be a 203 i dunno why the guy that had it before us would have swaped it out. Or maybe the dealer just keep screwing up. :(

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's a 205,it will have a drain plug,and a fill plug.203's have no drain plugs,fill plugs only.

205's have 4 TC shifter positions

4LO
    N
    2HI
    4HI

203's have 5

LO Loc
    LO
    N
    HI
    HI Loc

It was probably just the dealer screwed up.The above will help you figure out which case you have for future reference.

5. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Chris: is either one 203/205 better than the other? i have the 203 in my truck bolted up to a t-400

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 205 is a little stronger,but they are both good cases.The 203 has full time 4WD,with a center differential,which is much nicer to plow with as it doesn't hop and buck as much when turning.If you need the extra traction,you can lock the case for normal 4WD.

Some guys convert the 203,and get rid of the differential section,but it hurts reliability and the longevity of the unit.

Is this in your 84 ? The 84 should have a 208 case.

7. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Ya it is in the 84. Maybe that is what it is then. The tranny/tc are supposedly out of a one ton. Neither are original as the 700r4 was taken out and replcaed by me :D one more thing is with the lock out hubs i have to run the t/c in h-loc to cruise because the front driveshaft spins when the hubs are disengaged

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you have HI Loc,then it is a 203.

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

can you get a number of the old seal?

might need a magnifide glass to see it

cardoctor

10. Wesley's Lawn

Alright guys thanks alot i know its a 205 now. Now i can go into the dealer and chew some ass out cause this will make about the 8th time iv been in there for the same thing. :realmad: :angry: