1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

transfer case leaking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SharpBlades, Nov 13, 2010.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I have a 2002 silverado 2500 hd this past spring the transmission went out. I had it replaced with a jasper transmission.

A couple weeks ago I was under the truck running my wiring for the spreader and noticed that the ATF is leaking out from where the transmission and transfer case come together.

From what I can see, the transfer case is pitted pretty good and the leak is coming from a sloppy job with the rtv or whatever sealant was used at the connection. It is not leaking a lot, just enough to leave a few drops on the ground. When I checked the level it wasn't down more than a half quart.

Is there anything that I can do to temporarily fix the leak until I have the time to pull the transfer case and properly seal it? :mechanic:

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

that seal to connect the 2 is just to keep crap out. probably your input seal on the transfer case or the output seal on the trans.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

:nod::nod:

4. SharpBlades

do you think that cleaning it up and using high temp rtv would get it through the winter?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe. Use some brake clean and a brush. Nice and clean and some Permatex Ultra Black.

6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

if its the blue stuff its the wrong stuff black or copper is the right stuff blue dosnt hold up to trans fluid

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem is there is no tranny fluid that is supposed to be in that area. So you have a input or rear seal leaking. So even if you get it to seal up, it's going to be a very short term fix. I'm thinking along the lines of 2 to 4 weeks at best. Once that chamber fills up for the input shaft, or the rear seal leaking, it will eventually eat through whatever you get to seal, and then you will have a big puddle instead of a few drops. Best bet is to tear it down, and fix the problem instead of trying to put a band-aid on it now. Imagine being in a customers driveway, or lot when it lets go, and ends up staining the pavement.

8. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

A few hours now

will save more later. Pull the transfer case and replace the front seal and rear seal in the trans and your good to go.

take care,

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is no output seal in the rear of the trans, fluid can and does migrate from the trans into the T-case adapter, thus if the gasket between it and the T-case isn't sealed well you end up with an ATF leak... because it's the gaskets job to keep any ATF in the adapter from leaking out.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Long time no see B&B.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here every day Micki. Getting pretty deep into the busy season though so time must be regulated. payup :drinkup:

12. SharpBlades

thanks for the input guys :waving:

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I'm always amazed at b&b. Way too much knowledge. Glad he was on our side during ww2